Cleaning your 1911

cdoc42

How frequently should one dismantle and clean the firing pin and extractor assembly in a 1911 (or any semi-auto pistol)?

Here's a guide to 1911 maintenance, written by one of the world's 1911 gurus (who is a member here). 1911Tuner has been described as the reincarnation of John Moses Browning. I don't think anyone understands the operation of the 1911 pistol better than Tuner.

https://www.m1911.org/technic23.htm

[Edit to add] If it's a carry pistol, I would check the firing pin and extractor based on time, not round count. Lint and atmospheric dirt have a way of getting where they're not wanted. My everyday carry lockback knife periodically stops locking open. When that happens, the issue is invariably pocket lint preventing the blade from opening that last tiny increment to where it can lock..

That is a good list of 1911 PM’s. I wonder why he did not suggest a light grease (0 or 00). That said, oil is tried & true.

I do it annually, regardless of how many rounds fired, which in past times could have been close to 5k.

1911Tuner has been described as the reincarnation of John Moses Browning.

I think that's the same guy that made a video of himself shooting a 1911 without a recoil spring, claiming the pistol worked when it didn't. John Browning is still probably laughing over that one.

I had a good friend back in the 80s who was a fighter pilot and he and I used to shoot IPSC together.

He would shoot a 1911 until you could watch the slide cycling. When it finally quit running, it was time to clean it.

He would take the grips off, stand in the driveway, and hose it out with Berryman B12 chemTool. Crap ran out of that gun like used motor oil. He’d run a brush up and down the door a few times. Then he would lay it on a picnic table and let the sun dry it out.

Then he would hose it out inside and out with break free CLP. And consider it done.

All of his caps and shooting glasses had little black, freckles all over them.

Back