Cleaning the Ruger P95

I have a blue '95. I use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber on the slide and most slide-mounted components then run patches through the barrel with the cleaner/oil which came with my Hoppes cleaning kit. I clean the ramp with a toothbrush and gun scrubber.
I flush the trigger group with gun scrubber and then attempt to just wipe the frame clean. If junque is building up inside, I'll hit it with scrubber. It takes the shine out of my frame so I have to follow it with Armorall.

After reassembly, my last step is wiping everything down with a silicone cloth. This leaves it shiny, even after about 1500 rounds.

Bobbalouie

------------------
Sic semper tyrannis

Be careful with the Gunscrubber, Bobbalouie!

Its great solvent but has no lubricating qualities. If you clean with it, its important to follow the GS with at least some light oil. (Otherwise, your gun will be wearning out far more quickly than it should.)

That lack of lubricity, coupled to its ability to mar or damage plastic components, means it should be used sparingly.

(And, if you have a chemist friend who's knowledgeable in these matters, you'll find that you can get essentially the same stuff for a lot less by buying aerosol brake cleaner -- and in most cases, it'll be easier on the plastic.)

I have a stainless '95 which was bought new in 1996. I use Gunscrubber for the initial 'preclean'. I then follow-up with Hoppes, a bronze brush, q-tips, and finish with a DROP of Rem-Oil on each slide rail. Whatever Ruger makes the polymer frame out of, it is very durable. I used the '95 for my initial Academy training and it has many thousands of rounds through it, mostly +P. The Gunscrubber has had ZERO effect on the frame (it looks the same as it did back in 1996). The newer Ruger P-series (1996-Present) are highly under-rated, and this coming from someone who carries a SIG or a Glock on a daily basis.

P.S. I find the q-tips effective in getting into the small crevices and getting the gunk out. Just be meticulous and don't leave any 'fuzzballs' behind.

Ach, silly me. I didn't mention how I LUBE pistole, only how I CLEAN it.

I use a small amount of lubriplate on the rails and oil on the barrel and block where it bears and locks-up.

I suppose I will be transitioning to Breakfree CLP soon because I'm gonna have a black rifle to tend to...

Bobbalouie

Back