Cleaning the bore question: newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipper

I read this statement regarding cleaning a handguns barrel:

"Barrel: Use a copper or brass brush (no steel!), a good powder solvent, and many cotton patches to clean the bore. If you shoot jacketed bullets, be sure to select a copper solvent. Always run patches and brushes through the bore from the chamber end to prevent damage to the rifling near the muzzle."

How can you damage the rifling near the muzzle with a bronze brush? I assume that you're supposed to run the brush all the way through the barrel to push out any residue: at least, that's what I did. Did I damage the rifling by doing this?

Thanks for any help

Others may have different opinions, but I feel that guns should be cleaned from the chamber end so that you won't damage the muzzle opening when you start the brush or patch into the bore. It's not usually the brush or patch itself that does the damage, but the rod or the tip of the jag. Even the smallest damage to the opening can affect accuracy especially with rifles. Be sure to guide the brush or patch slowly back into the bore even when you are pulling from the chamber end. Brass brushes cannot damage the rifling when used properly.

Yeah, what Mal H said. also, it's just a good habit to get into, so you don't push debris back into the weapon. (It means you'll always have to disassemble the weapon, no cheating)

Ok so how do you clean the bore of a lever action rifle, say my Savage 99?

No way to run the cleaning rod from the chamber end (that I know of.)

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

deanf - I have a feeling you are being facetious with that question. :) Of course the "clean from the chamber end" can't possibly be a hard and fast rule. Some actions won't easily allow it - lever actions, most revolvers, etc. But knowing what can cause a problem makes you a little more cautious when cleaning from the muzzle end.

On the other hand, most lever actions can be broken down so that you can clean from the chamber end. I can do this with my Win 94 or Marlin 39 in just a few minutes. But with the large bore 94 (45 Colt), I usually don't since the rod has little chance of nicking the muzzle. And with the 39, I rarely clean the bore anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back