Cleaning S/S Uberti New Army

Gaz_in_NZ

Well, Got back from the range Sunday afternoon, wife was out, dishwasher was empty so I thought I'll try it, so I finally tried cleaning my Uberti Remingtons in the dishwasher.
Stripped down, grips and brass removed just the Frames, cylinders, loading lever and cylinder spindle in the dish washer and run on a 1/2 hour hot cycle with 1 tab and rinse aid "well" topped up.
When finished they were too hot to handle and I stuck 'em in the oven on Fan Bake for 10 mins at 200C or until dry (they appeared to be dry out of the dishwasher, but wasn't taking any chances).
They were cleaner than when they were new when I examined them after taking them out.
Just a tiny bit of lead in the barrel that was cleaned out with brush and mop and a bit of solvent in the normal way then a Ballistol patch up barrel before assembly, re-lube the trigger and hammer contact points and cylinder spindle and reassemble.
n.b. there were a few tiny rust spots on the nipples after cleaning (I left them in the cylinders), nothing drastic and they have probably always been there under the crap.

I'm not advocating you try this especially if it's on a blued gun but my Stainless Steel ones were fine and very clean indeed.
I shall be using this method in future and will monitor the results.

It's worth running the dishwasher on an empty cycle after you clean the guns just in case there is any corrosive residue in there.

Disclaimer : -
I take no responsibility for your guns if you use this method, but it appears to have worked wonders on mine.

On a different note, I've got 2 nipples stuck in a blued cylinder and they won't come out and the edges have rounded off where the wrench has ridden over them trying to remove them. Tried modding a 1/4inch socket with a Dremel and that failed as well.

Using this nipple wrench.
45-016_zpshrq2y36n.jpg

Any ideas on how to remove them welcome.

Cheers
Gaz

These buggers are stuck fast and I am a bit worried about breaking the extractor off. I've used them before and they are fine on non-rusted in broken bolts (where too much torque applied to tighten them up) but I have only ever had grief using them on rusted in bolts.
I had a cylinder head bolt snap on me and then the stud extractor snapped off in the snapped bolt and because it was hi-carbon steel I couldn't drill it and had to have the whole lot removed with a spark eroder and it cost a fortune.

But thanks for the reply.

Cheers
Gaz

I've not had this problem but I've heard that a great penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid. Soak the cylinder in the mixture to allow it to penetrate around the nipple threads.

I apply Teflon tape to my musket nipple threads and lithium grease to the threads of my revolver nipples every time I remove them.

Steve

That's exactly why I was taking them out to put Teflon Tape on them to stop them sticking.
I'll try the Dextron3 and Acetone trick on it.
Problem is that they are made of soft iron and shoulders that the wrench grips on are very shallow and it is easy to but a chamfer on them with the much harder wrench.

Cheers
Gaz

Any of these rusted bolt-nipple remover suggestions work best if the iron is hot.
I would use a small torch flame to get them sizzling hot, spray or douse them, then let them cool, this should draw the penetrating oil in the threads.

Note how I started the post... : -
"Got back from the range Sunday afternoon, wife was out, dishwasher was empty" :)

She was out... so it saves having 3 weeks of deaf and dumb meals.

Cheers
Gaz

Back