cleaning ruger 22/45 frequency, patch and bore size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hologon

I just got my 22/45, and I love it already.

However, I'm having some problems when it comes time to clean it.

Some people have said that you really don't need to clean a .22 for 500-1000 rounds. The range people (tsk tsk, again them) say that you really don't need to clean the gun out at all until it's so badly fouled that it won't fire anymore. That sounds a little ridiculous, but is this true, and does it also apply to lead bullets?

I've looked over the disassembly/reassembly for the MKII's, and I figured that I really _didn't_ need to do a full field strip and clean each time I shot it, but maybe I could get away with just cleaning out the bore from the muzzle end if I'm careful, and oiling the outside, and just give the inside a full cleaning every so often.

So I bought a .220-.225 brass jag for my Hoppes cleaning rod, only to discover that trying to fit the patch-and-jag down the muzzle side with a cleaning patch stuck to the end of the jag doesn't fit down the bore! The jag is a tight fit already, and the bunching up of the patch makes it absolutely not fit.

If I cut the patch to about a 0.5" square, it'll fit, but this seems like it really doesn't do a good job of cleaning out the insides (and CCI Lead .22LR seems a LOT dirtier than winchester USA 9mm! 50 rounds and I have black gunk EVERYWHERE!)

Are there any tricks to fitting the patch into the bore?

How often do I _really_ need to clean it?

Is it safe to clean from the muzzle end?

I've seen many instructions to fieldstripping the MKII and they look good, but to be honest, I'd prefer not to if I can get away with it, without harming the gun.

(On the other hand, I do clean out my 9mm meticulously after ever range session... it's just the MKII seems like a lot more trouble.)

Thanks!

-Jon

This previous link may answer some of your questions. I've personally found if I do not keep the Ruger clean it frequently jams. You may receive different opinions.

Jessica
[Link to invalid post]

[This message has been edited by LadydeeJ (edited October 10, 1999).]

hologon - The link Jessica gave will answer most of your questions. Pay attention to what Rich says about oiling. Overoiling is a common problem.

The jag you bought sounds like it may be for a .243 or .257 not a .22. The jag's diameter should be .18" to .20" at most. I sincerely hope you didn't try to force an oversized jag down the bore.

"Is it safe to clean from the muzzle end?" Sure, as long as you have unloaded the pistol and don't nick your fingers on the jag. Seriously, it is much better for the bore if you clean it from the breech end. Here is a good link (courtesy of JoeHatley) that describes the best disassembly/assembly method.
www.ontargetguns.com/striptip.html

Last week I was adjusting the overtravel screw on my Mk II and probably took it completely apart and put it back together 12 times. After that little workout, I was able to strip it to the point where it needs to be to clean it and put it back together in about 45 sec. When I first got the pistol, it would take 10 min. and only if I happened to hold my mouth just right and it was in a month with an r. I guess what I'm saying is practice taking it apart and you won't hesitate to do so whenever you need to clean it.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited October 10, 1999).]

Fancy meeting you here Mal. :D :D

Thanks for the additional tips. I've learned to field strip my Ruger quickly too. ;)
Took me awhile, but I figured it out.

Thanks, Ladydee J and Mal H.

I'll be sure to read over Rich's comments as well as that ontarget.com site... I guess I WILL have to give her the same cleaning as I do my USP. *sigh*

More info: the jag I bought is a Kleen-Bore

"220-225 Cal.
243-250 Cal./6mm"

and I did NOT :) force the jag down -- it slides down with no problem by itself, but once you put a full-size patch on it, there's no way it'll fit in the bore. I need a patch that's about 0.5" in diameter to fit.

I suspect I would have the same problems from either chamber or muzzle end, though... which is why I was a little curious whether my jag was the wrong size, or there were special teensy tiny patches for .22LR bores that I need to go find.

I'll be sure to dissassemble her and clean her out well asap, though.

Thanks!

-Jon

hologon - Whew, I could just see that poor muzzle ruined for life. But it does sound like the jag is a compromise design. It's a little too large for a .22 and a little too small for a 6mm. This is only my opinion, but I think Dewey makes one of the better ones, and they are sized in small increments.

As for how often to clean, this definitely gets into the opinion area. Some will say to never clean a 22 until you have to, some say clean them after each range session. I like to keep the action relatively clean, but I seldom clean the bore. You will find that .22's do not foul the bore much at all. Most .22 bullets have a coating that prevents the fouling, even the copper plated ones. I don't think you will need to clean the 22/45 as often as your USP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back