Cleaning rimfires and other rifles from the muzzle?

Sling Shot

I have never owned a rimfire rifle or an M1A type rifle. I do own AR and bolt action rifles. Both of these are cleaned from the breech. How hard is it to clean a rimfire rifle or other rifles that are cleaned from the muzzle? I am thinking about buying a Ruger 10/22, and am concerned about keeping the barrel cleaned. Any rimfire or muzzle cleaning tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Always use a muzzle guard if the rifle is of the type which must be cleaned from the muzzle. This applies to the M1 Garand, M14, M1 Carbine, Ruger Mini 14/30, Ruger 10/22 (unless you remove the barrel). If you nick the crown and you can kiss accuracy goodbye.

If you want to be a stickler, insert the cleaning rod (with a muzzle guard) and attach the brush onto the rod after it protrudes from the chamber. Apply solvent and then draw the brush out. Remove brush, wipe down rod, and restart procedure. It certainly is tedious and is worth the effort if you've some sort of match rifle like one of those Springfield SuperMatch. If it's just a Mini14 or 10/22, I wouldn't bother with this technique.

For my 10/22, I use a "Bore Snake"--I think that's the name? Its a rope-type affair with a section of bronze brush, and a following section of moderately rough rope. I can clean from the breech, and it seems to do a good job. It has a LITTLE weight on the front that lets you drop a slender section through the breach, then out the muzzle. Then you drag the thicker section that does the cleaning back and forth. I put some solvent on it first, then towel it off real well, and put lubricant on it, then towel ot off again. It doesn't absorb your chemicals. Can wash it when it gets gunky (after 2-3 cleanings)

You can find 'em almost anywhere. Works for me.

Back