Cleaning Rifled Shotgun Barrel

Clevinger

I plan to purchase a rifled shotgun slug gun in the next week.

I am experienced cleaning smooth bore shotguns and regular rifles, but not rifled shotguns.

I need to see the take-down of the actual gun (Ithaca Deerslayer II), but if the barrel isn't fixed would you guys just use a rod? Should I use a bore guide like it was a rifle? :confused:

If the barrel is fixed should I just use a bore snake? :confused:

DeerslayerII%2020%20Gauge%20Banner.jpg

I've never seen a 12ga bore guide, but in the event one's made by someone, I doubt it's needed.

Bore guides are to keep nearly-bore-sized, or flexing, cleaning rods from rubbing against the rifling @ the muzzle (usually) - and a 12ga bore (.729") is over 2x bigger than a 12ga cleaning rod, which don't usually flex much anyway.

A slug gun with a rifled barrel's still just a rifle, but bigger than most (.72 cal)
I just use a 12ga bronze brush in mine to get rid of any melted plastic from the sabots, then finish up with a bore cleaner on patches.

Brownells actually has bore guides, but depending on how a shotgun broke down I'm also unsure of the utility of them.

p_080000973_2.jpg

Never owned the Deerslayer model but:

presuming the rifled barrel isn't "pinned" it is easy to remove the barrel on an Ithaca pump and you can clean it from the chamber end.

If it is pinned, you can carefully clean from the muzzle end with a brush and then patches. The worry about cleaning a std. rifle from the muzzle end and the reason for bore guides, is to protect the "crown" of the barrel. Not sure if a rifled shotgun barrel actually has a crown.

Back