Cleaning my compensator

AzShooter

Well, I've been amiss and haven't cleaned the compensator on my Ruger Mark IV with a Volquartsen LLV 6 upper and their new compensator.

Since getting the gun I have put thousands of rounds through it. I cleaned the gun after every shooting session but left the compensator alone. Finally I looked at it and boy was it filled with lead.

I've had compensators for years, probably 20 or more, and never had to clean them. Every once in a while I'd shoot some jacketed ammo and the comp would be clean and I still managed to get good accuracy. Lately I've been reading about people cleaning their compensators to get the lead out. The most popular way is to use "The Dip" consisting of 1 part Vinegar and 1 part Peroxide. So I made up a batch along with a cleaning base of water and liquid soap.

The comp was so caked up it was difficult to take off the barrel. I even bent the tool that VQ sends with the scope to tighten the locking nut. I finally had to put the top end in a vice and use a set of vice grips to get it off.

Inspecting it there was so mush lead that it even got into the threads.

I put it in the jar with the liquid and let it sit for 5 hours to loosen up the carbon and hope the lead would be easier to get out. I still had to attack it wth a brass screwdriver and a hammer to break up the lead. The Dip didn't work as advertised.

I then let it sit for 2 hours in MPro-7. That made it easier to get the crud out and I was able to get the comp as clean as new.

I read that it's best to treat the comp with Pam or a lanolin based liquid to keep lead deposits from building up. I spayed Pam in the comp and headed to the range.

The first few shots went far to the right but eventually went back to center and then stayed their. Groups were much tighter and after 300 rounds I had no buildup.

I now know to clean the comp after every 3 - 600 rounds, Once a week with the amount of shooting I do and to spray with Pam every 300 rounds to keep it clean.

If you don't want to use The Dip which is toxic, try MPro-7. It's water based and you can just dump it in the sink to get rid of it. The Dip has to be brought to the Hazardous Waist dup to dispose of it.

I wasn't thinking so there are no pictures to show how bad it was and how good it looks now.

Last edited:
Back