Cleaning hard chrome?

mvdemarco

Sent a S&W model 13 to Metalife to be hard chromed last week. What is the best way to clean hard chrome after a trip to the range? Will a lead wipe cloth damage the chrome?

Mike

Hard chrome is an industrial plating specifically for hard-use tool surfaces including chisels, saws, drill bits, grinders, etc. It is meant to be put through hell.

You are not going to hurt it using standard guncleaning solvents, cleaners, wipes or coatings. I have found that my hardchromed guns clean so much easier since nothing wants to stick to that slick surface. I usually just wipe down the surface with my cleaning rags and lightly grease moving parts.

You'll be very happy when you get your pistola back.

I don't know how valid this is, but I have seen warnings against the use of ultra harsh cleaners such as Gunscrubber on one or more of the plating companies' websites. Apparently it affects the porosity or some such of the plating and can create an environment more conducive for corrosion/rust to develop.

It is something you may want to check into further.

I had my P-40 Keltec hard chromed and it is impervious to all cleaning materials that I have used on it and is extremely durable. It is a great finish for a gun that get hard use and is exposed to body sweat and the elements.

7th

Back