cleaning comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

paltik

could anyone share me their tips re:cleaning comps, i have just acquired my first comped gun...Super 38, converted from 9mm commander..It's really great...And I owe a lot from this forum coz' the'ir the one who pushed me to do it , coz they say it's really possible to do...
Thanks..

------------------
REY MARIANO

What kind of loads are you shooting: lead or jacketed?

Lead is a pain to remove from a comp. Many just scrape it out, but an easier method is to get an Outers Foul Out, plug the chamber, wrap the comp vent(s) with tape, and follow the remaining instructions with the device. For jacketed bullets, I don't notice any fouling build up other than carbon. I just use a Q-tip and the narrow end of the M16 'toothbrush' for the expansion chamber on my S&W 686 PowerPort.

Yep, what Dan said above.

Totally encased bullets that have a copper plate at the back where the lead is usually exposed also help in reduction of lead in the comp.

I shoot 124 gn. Hornady Truncated Cone that are totally encapsulated. Very clean and the lead does not get on your fingers during the reloading process. Prices vary but the 4000 count bulk box runs arout $200. That particular bullet profile has a large bearing surface and is very accurate out to 50 yards.

DblTap

You know, I have had a problem with lead deposits in a comp for my Mark II. (Have decided to leave it off entirely.) One thing I have always tought of removing the lead but have yet to try is to put the comp in a furnace (which I have access to) or hotplate and melt the lead away.

Has anyone tried this?

- Ron V.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back