Cleaning cleaning patches?

Devil Dog

Inactive
This sounded like the right sub, but correct me if I'm wrong :)

Any good ideas on cleaning all the grime out of cotton flannel cleaning patches? The best I can do right now is get em in hot water and detergent asap. I'm fine with them not being spotless, but at some point I may have to throw em away as I won't be able to see what is new dirt or an old stain. Thanks for any ideas! DD

You actually clean patches??? Throw them out and get new ones. A couple of yards of flannel cloth from a yardgoods store is pretty cheap! Scissors are a fine one time investment.

I just toss my dirty patched in the garbage or fireplace. Washing them is nuts. I make my patches out of my worn out flannel shirts. First the elbows usually tear out so the shirt becomes a short sleave the sleave become patches then when the shirt rips or gets enough holes....patch material.

I've never heard of re-using cleaning patches.

I use sturdy paper towels as patches. The good quality blue "shop style" paper towels are best but any good quality paper towel with some toughness to it will work. Tear off a piece that's the size you want. Or tear one off that's twice as big as you want and fold it over. You don't want to ram it into the bore fast when you're first pushing it in or it will tear, but once you ease it into the bore it functions exactly like a cloth patch.

Just don't get over-enthusiastic and make a patch that's too thick/large and get it stuck. They can jam in there pretty tight if you go too big.

You actually clean patches???

Yes I do, as I have said before; I went dumpster diving; that was when companies starting closing shops in the states and starting out sourcing their garment business. I found all kind of material so I started cutting cleaning patches. My wife loaned me a green lay out cutting board and a round pizza looking cutter. After that things picked up.

There were a number of items they threw away, anyhow it was about that time I decided I would change the way I clean barrels. I made a cleaning system, I had a choice, I could run out of cleaning supplies or I could make some more or I could clean the dirty stuff. I save the dirty stuff and I do not see running out in the near future but my wife said it was possible to wash the dirty stuff. I do not believe she wants me to mess with the washer and or dryer unless one of the two quits.

F. Guffey

Last edited:
Water soluble lead compounds from the primers are in patches, plus copper compounds. None are safe to consume regularly or in quantity, so I would expect the boss at my house to put the washing machine off limits, too.

Few of the patches I use look unstretched afterward. Maybe I patch too tight, but I've torn them on the first pass through more than once. Anyway, I can't imagine them working well for a second pass from a strength standpoint. Nonetheless, given what commercially packaged patches cost, or if you found a particularly good material and couldn't get enough for a lifetime supply, I can see how that might make it uncomfortable to just toss them. I have a couple of packages of waffle pattern cloth patches I like that aren't sold any more. Maybe I should think about cleaning those, since I can't find the material anywhere.

I think I'd put them in a bucket of warm water with some Oxy-solve or other oxygen bleach detergent in it and let them soak, and then squeeze them a number of times, rinse them, wring them out and spread them on a retired cookie sheet to dry. I would definitely wash my hands well afterward.

I would start recycling patches about the same time I would start recycling toilet paper.
That would be never, or at least 1 year after the start of Armageddon when my existing supply will will run out.

Sounds like a long climb for a short slide to me. Isn't worth the time, soap, or water given their price in my opinion.

Back