Cleaning and Lubing!

skoda

Inactive
Greetings, a man brings a defective(his words) to me yesterday, and after field stripping, it appears NEVER to have been cleaned/lubricated! He was blaming the gun, and claims he always cleans it. He then proceeded to show me by wiping down the outside with an oily rag!
I'm seeing this more and more lately, and after reading; 84% of Millennials did not know how to check oil in their cars, nor even how to open the hoods, I'm not surprised. I guess if these dummies want to pay me to properly clean and lube their firearms, I should be happy, right?
Regards

Last edited:
Sad but true ! :( Doesn't take much to jam a gun with dirt , powder residue etc.
A car can cost you thousands for not changing oil !

"Ballistol" cleans and lubes while removing moister though its emulsification properties. Oh, and the formula is over 200 years old.

Boncrayon-this site has a wealth of information on it and I'm set to be schooled here.

Wikipedia says Ballistol was developed by the Germans before WWI.

Did you mean over 100 years old or is the formula really older than the German development?

P.S. No, dog in the fight here, I've heard great things about Ballistol but Hoppes has my heart as a cleaner and I use whatever oil I happen to have around or sometimes Dri-Slide.

For over half a century I've used Hoppe's No. 9 and my brew of 50/50 motor oil and 3-in-1 oil. Every so often I blast out the innards with WD-40.

Works for me.

Bob Wright

I am a bit ocd when it comes to things, no dishes in the sink, crooked pictures a no go, dirty guns etc. I wish I could leave a gun dirty but I just can't, doesn't matter if I fired 1 round or 200, that gun is getting cleaned before I hit the rack. I like Ballistol or CLP on everything with exception to my rifle bolts, they get grease. Lower assemblies get dry cleaned with a brush and QTip with the occasional dose of Hornaday one shot.

Grease? Or nah?

Recently, I came be a M1A scout, the first rifle of its kind that I've ever had. So naturally I had to buy all the proper cleaning/lubing stuff. After I greased her down with lubriplate It was nearly a %100 improvment in the action. Honestly I was doubting how well grease would work on a gun. So seeing how well it worked, I thought maybe it could improve the movement in my SA 1911 A1 "GI" model (mainly because its all parkerized finish like the m1a.

You guys seemed pretty well versed in lubing firearms So any thoughts on this?

It seems more and more of kids in my generation are losing skills like these. That's why I love hanging out with my grandpas. Wish I knew everything I don't know I don't know!

My experience too

I just cleaned a 9mm ruger p89 owned by a friend who admitted he has never cleaned it and figured he had something over 6000 rounds through it. I took it apart, cleaned the barrel with brush and hoppes, then let the barrel sit all night in Kroil. I finished the barrel by scrubbing with hoppes again, then blasted it out with brake cleaner before oiling with slip 2000. On the rails and frame I just scrubbed with stiff toothbrush, blasted with brake cleaner and put some slip 2000 grease on the rails with a spot of slip 2000 on the hammer. Gun is super slippery and very clean now

Late Oct / Early Nov 2015 wife and I decided to get a gun, haven't owned a gun in 40+ years.

In researching gun ownership the next 6 weeks, learned about hand gun cleaning/lubing, range etiquette and CC.

ALL before going to the local gun shop.

And I was wondering when guns started running instead of shooting? Maybe I am just behind the times, my Kubota runs pretty good.:)

it is not just the lack of brain usage these days that astonishes me. It is also the lack of claiming responsibility for anything--like maintaining a car, your home and you guns.

I have been accused of things like being OCD sometimes, but my cars are clean and maintained according to schedule, clean waxed, the house is maintained against damage,wear.. and clean ,of course and my guns cleaned and lubed after every 100 rounds( usually each range session) and checked and lubed if needed if they have not been used for over 4 weeks.
,I was raised by WW 2 generation parents. The morals,values and sense of responsibility they taught still rings true today. I feel sorry for those who missed out on them. They were the greatest generation for a reason. JMHO

Heck if you want to make lots more $$--either offer gun cleaning for a nic e price

and /or offer a gun cleaning class or both

It's not just the younger generation that neglects to clean their guns. My grandfather is now 91 years old and his guns are only cleaned when my dad or I happen to come by and do it. Of course, my grandfather is interested in guns only for their utility and, as such, the only ones he ever shoots are very utilitarian and simple (an H&R Sentinel Deluxe .22 revolver or a NEF single-shot 20 ga shotgun) and they're only used when he needs to dispatch a bothersome opossum, skunk, or raccoon on his property.

My dad also used to work with an older gentleman who was nearing retirement that kept an old Colt Trooper he'd bought in a pawn shop in a padlocked tackle box in his truck. His cleaning equipment for this gun as a straightened out wire coat hanger and a piece of oily rag. Fortunately, that old Colt, being a revolver, needed only a minimal amount of cleaning and it also was typically only shot when some vermin needed dispatching on this man's property.

Back