Cleaning Advice For a Rifle Stock

glenspen

Hi, new gun owner here :)

I recently bought a New Model 1873 Winchester as my first rifle and wanted to ask advice about the best way to maintain the oil finish stock.

What kind of oil do I use and are there any tips for performing the task?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Clean with any wood cleaning product like Murphy's Oil Soap. Wax(shoe polish has waxes in it) is ok for a bit of protection. Spar varnish works too.
Wood is wood so you can use the same products and techniques used on fine furniture.

Yep, shoe polish

One would hope that you mean that you used Neutral shoe polish...not Black.
Yes, shoe polish/wax, is a good option. I mostly use neutral but have also used brown, cordovan and tan. I have also used pure Carnauba. ..... :)

I clean with Mineral Spirits ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

No oil

There is no telling what the original finish was. If that finish is not matched your "guessed material" application probably won't look good.
On raw stocks I use either marine spar varnish or pure Tung oil. Either way the last application is a high carnauba content past wax. Treewax was good. Now I use a product from "The real milk paint company" Very high in carnauba.
I also use it on all of the cast iron tables on my shop machinery every 6 months. Both for friction and rust control.
Any paste wax designed in the old days generally for household wood floors will work.

Back