cleaning a Winchester 9422

gaseousclay

I have zero experience cleaning a rifle and was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on how to best clean a Winchester 9422 levergun? Would I have to take it apart to clean it or can I simply clean it from the muzzle?

I just bought my Winchester 9422 and although I've read that .22's don't require much cleaning I thought it might be wise to do so. the seller assured me that it was a safe queen but I figure better safe than sorry. any tips?

You can clean it from the muzzle-just be careful to keep the cleaning rod from contacting the side of the crown as it passes through. You can use a bore guide if you don't think you are able to keep the rod from rubbing against the crown of the barrel but it's really not that hard.

I've read that .22's don't require much cleaning

What you've read is true: .22 rf firearms don't require much in the way of cleaning. Maintenance is another question-after shooting any firearm, it is wise to wipe it down with an oily cloth before storage.

A pull-thru is much safer for cleaning guns that either are difficult or impossible to clean from the breach with a rod.

For example, the Hoppe's "BoreSnake".

Or, a 1-piece coated rod, and as suggested, a bore guide is required to avoid damaging the all important crown.

dgludwig said:
What you've read is true: .22 rf firearms don't require much in the way of cleaning. Maintenance is another question-after shooting any firearm, it is wise to wipe it down with an oily cloth before storage.

I concur. In fact, excessive barrel cleaning can negatively effect the accuracy of a .22.

Cheers,
C

Cheap, easy bore guide: get the barrel portion of a ball point pen. The hole inside is tapered like the outside. Cut back the small end till your cleaning rod will just pass thru. Put the ink pen barrel on your cleaning rod, insert the rod into the muzzle, and hold the pen against the muzzle as you clean. The rod will never touch the rifling. Cheap is good. Goat

If you're really worried about the possibility of damaging the crown... break down the rifle (one screw) and use the cleaning rod from the action end to clean the barrel. Either way will work.

Take it apart to clean it. That way you can have a look at the insides of the action, which may also need cleaning. Take apart on a flat surface with a clean towel spread on it. That way you won't drop any bolt parts on the floor (there are only a couple of parts).

Take it apart but watch the receiver. IT IS SHARP!

Brace everything in a nice take down holder and watch where you put your fingers inside the receiver. The edges will get you.

Don't ask me how I know.

:o:o:o:o

Back