Cleaning a Silencer

kuca_2004

what does anybody use to push the baffles out of the silencer? every one that I tried taking apart is tough to get them out. Also what does anybody use to clean them? ive heard a sonic cleaner is the way to go. where can I get one cheaper that lets me run it for hours without shutting off rather than shuts off after a couple minutes..

Well every **suppressor** is structured and assembled differently. What model and caliber are we talking about? Most of them have decent directions in the literature that comes with the suppressor, or the manufacturers website.

A lot of suppressors don't require cleaning, higher calibers generate enough force and heat to kind of self clean. Most don't recommend strong solvents that can eat through the thin baffles depending how it is constructed. Definitely do not put in any cleaning rods with patches, don't want to leave a patch jammed in a baffle corner somewhere.

Sonic cleaners can eat away at finishes and aluminum baffles too depending on the construction of the suppressor. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer and asking them.

The only ones I have that I clean are .22LR suppressors.

After about 500 rounds they are absolutely filthy inside and the baffles are sort of "soldered" to the tube with lead. I unscrew the end caps , then as gently as possible, tap out the baffles using a wooden dowel. This doesn't take a lot of effort unless you have left it go for thousands of rounds.

As far as cleaning the insides, I just use a toothbrush and solvent. On the baffles that are closest to the barrel, I may use a stiffer brush like a bronze brush to get lead off of them but depending on what they are made of, don't get carried away: the .22LR suppressor I use most of the time has aluminum baffles, so you don't want to get too aggressive with them.

I never tried using my ultrasonic cleaner on them. I am sure it would work to some degree but without trying it, I don't really know. If you end up removing the finish, just refinish it and don't do that again :eek:

Back