Cleaning a SIG P229

Basil

Although this question might sound silly, allow me to present it.

I read in the specs and instructions manual of the P229 that when cleaning the barrel special attention is required to prevent it from damaging! The cleaning motion has to be done from the end out.
Question 1. which is the end? I assume it is not the edge of the barell where the site scope is. Am I right? I think it is evident that you must follow the route the gases escape. Is that so, or I have to move the other way around?
Question 2. Isn´t it peculiar for such a great..and expensive gun warnings to be issued for going the right way in order to avoid damaging the barrel? Is the inside of the barrel so vulnerable?

Many thanks

The end out?

Well, I am assuming they are talking about starting in the chamber end of the barrel and push the brush out of the muzzle (where the front site is)

There is nothing different between your 229 and any other Sig, these recomendations are to help you to not dammage the muzzle end of your barrel with the edge of the brush where it screws into the rod, if you are using a hoppes cleaning set there is usually a sharp metal lip that could indeed gouge the muzzle of your barrel if you are not careful.

So if you just start in the chambers end and push the brush completely out of the muzzle end before pulling the brush back through you will have no problems.

All it takes is a minor inperfection to hinder the accuracy of a barrel.

Good luck,
Jason

Jason is right. It is normal for all guns to be cleaned from the chamber end to the muzzle end.
the 229 is a good gun!

Back