cleaning a muzzleloader

It depends.
The type of gun & the ammo being fired, type of powder & lube, volume of the powder charge, accuracy desired and the nature of the individual gun.
Shooting patched round balls is way more forgiving than shooting sabots or tight fitting conicals. With some guns, more swabbing delivers greater accuracy, while in other guns, a little powder fouling helps.
Inlines shooting sabots require more swabbing, unless shooting powerbelts with a plastic skirt which are looser fitting.
Some powders foul more, and using more lube keeps fouling soft and can make for easier loading.
Even the temperature & the amount of humidity matters at times.
More powder usually means more fouling, unless it's cleaner burning like Swiss or fffg or P.
If one is shooting in a target match vs. simply plinking, then more swabbing is in order to obtain better accuracy, unless it's the first shot. ;)
If a gun has a loose bore, then a little more fouling may be in order.
There's lots of variables with BP guns, and patch thickness, smaller ball size, using less powder can save a lot of effort when it comes to loading or swabbing.
Shooting at a closer distance, or with a smaller caliber, means shooting with less powder and maybe less cleaning too..
If I use extra lube and less powder, I can sometimes shoot roundballs for hours and still obtain fairly good plinking accuracy. But the better target shooters usually swab much more often.
Even the depth or shape of the rifling can play a role with powder residue accumulation. Round bottom rifling may not accumulate as much residue.
Most people learn how often they need to swab through trial & error with their particular gun. :)

Last edited:
My Hawken needs swabbing about every fifth shot but I use tight fitting conicals. My Enfield with Minies I can shoot all day and the weight of the steel ramrod will push the bullet down the bore to the last inch or so on every shot.

I dry patch with a loose fit patch after every shot. every 10 or so shots I use the stiff plastic (nylon maybe, colored like bronze) brush then wipe. I get noticeably tighter groups this way. I shoot a .50 with 24" barrel (Hawkin style)

Arcticap has it pretty well covered. When I teach, in the field, I clean after every fifth shot. I also let the gun talk to me as it will tell you when to definitely clean. I finally got the state to switch from Pyrodex to 777 and down load. I do not care much for Black or Pyrodex but woud never tell another how to spend his money or do with his wife. I also make sure that my barrel is seasoned before I get too critical. I teach Moderns and Traditional. You will have to ask yourself; "How good is good enough" There is a big difference between punching paper and punching deer. One great source of information, is the Del books by Sam Fadala .... Shoot Safe !!!

I shoot a patch and ball load with goex 2f powder. I run a spit patch down the barrel followed up with a dry patch after every 5 shots for better groups and loading.

HARDCORE

Almost all of the gun makers tell you that your best accuracy, is to clean out between every shot.( Spit patch, then dry patch)

This will probably be the best for punching paper, but is not neccessarily the best route in a hunting situation.

The best thing to do is to shoot your gun on paper, and see how many shots you can put in a 3" circle, without cleaning, before you start to loose accuracy. This will tell you in a hunting situation, how many times you can shoot before you are wasting your time.

I have had some rifles that can shoot 4 rounds before they start to spread, and have had some that a quick clean between every shot is manditory. A lot of rifles that shoot sabots won't let you load another shot without cleaning out. Every rifle is different, and every circumstance is different, as posted by Articap. You just have to find out what your rifle likes to have done to it to keep it's accuracy.

In most cases, firing 3 shots without cleaning, and holding accuracy, is exceptional, and generally speaking, if you shoot 3 times and are not dragging a deer behind you, you need to go back home and practice a little more.:D

if you shoot 3 times and are not dragging a deer behind you, you need to go back home and practice a little more.

If you can load and shoot at the same deer three times with a muzzle loader you're a lot faster at loading than I am. Either that or y'all got some mighty slow deer. :rolleyes: :D

Hawg Haggen said:
If you can load and shoot at the same deer three times with a muzzle loader you're a lot faster at loading than I am. Either that or y'all got some mighty slow deer.

Agreed, I've yet to get a second shot off at the same Deer....

I find each gun is different, my 50 cal after every shot , my 69 charleyville never clean to end of day ..you have your rod marked and if you don't clean watch you rod you don't get a carbon build up at ball and cause a air space between ball and powder and thats a NO NO ..

Back