Claybird Throwers

centralpadoug

I was just given a semi 12 gauge by a relative. I have enjoyed shooting claybirds at various times over the years.

What are my options for throwers?

I have a Hoppes that works pretty good throwing singles and doubles at various angles. It's got a spring loaded mechanism that's triggerd by pulling an attached string. IIRC it was less than $50 at Walmart. Just make sure to mount it to a spare tire, instead of staking it to the ground, because the force of throwing it will pull the stakes out after a few throws.

Those cheap red plastic throwers work surprisingly well------the only problem is you need someone to throw for you----pretty hard to throw and shoot by yourself. Also--they only throw one target at a time. Buy 2 and throw doubles.

I've got an Outers Flightmaster Jr. that was about $50, IIRC. It's probably similar to the Hoppes except it only throws singles. I don't have it mounted to a spare tire but that's a good idea because it does tend to pull itself out of the ground.

I have one of the red plastic throwing arms too, but mine throws singles or doubles. It's adjustable to give you different angles for doubles. The thrower basically swings it like a baseball bat, snapping the wrist to fling the clays out there.

All the hand throwers I've used over the years hae worked well. The machines tend to be more consistent, if there's one shot you want to work on they may be the better choice.

Pop had an old Outer's trap when I was young long ago. It had one setting that duplicated a pheasant flush, and I worked that shot for hours.

You CAN throw for yourself with one of the red plastic throwers. I have done it several times. It's pretty darn awkward, and you have to pay careful attention to safe gun handling, and you'll only be taking longer shots, but it can be done if you've got no one to go with you.

I hold the shotgun in my left hand (weak hand). Throw with my strong hand (right hand). Then drop the thrower, mount the shotgun, flick the safety and shoot.

Probably not very good training, since you'll not be holding the shotgun the way you would be in a hunting situation. But maybe a bit better than shooting stationary targets, if that's your only other option.

I would like to find a throwing machine that I can operate by myself and still shoot.

Here's where the Canterberrys come in. Sometimes I go down to PGC and have the range to myself. I'll change position,try a little low gun,etc. Each angle and shot is unique,like hunting.

Dave R: I just read in a magazine that there is an Outers throwing model that you can cock and release with the foot. Prize about $ 150.00. If desired I can skim my magazines to find the exact model-name and brand.

claybird throwers

I just purchased the Trius One-Step thrower from cabella's. I'm very happy with it. I tried the plastic throwers and unless you can get it right you'll be throwing a lot of clays away. Quite difficult to get it just right as to where you can get some decent practice shooting. The August issue ot Guns and Ammo reviews several of the throwers. Might take a look at it.

I've used the Trius One-step alot. It works good!

If you get it be carefull to adjust the the release on it or you'll bend the release lever. There is a chain on the step part the pulls on the release lever when the step bottoms out. Remember to adjust it every time you change the elevation of the thrower too. Other then that its a great machine.

Good luck,

Shok

Back