Classic 22's Memory Makers

Mr.RevolverGuy

In the days of polymer semi auto handguns and my love for revolvers, these classic 22’s have remained in the back of the safe for way too long. Not to mention just about every classic 22 I own was inherited from other family members. Each one comes with it’s own set of memories. It is those memories that made me come to the conclusion that the previous owners in no way would have designated them as safe queens. For me it is one of the hardest things in the world to go through family crisis and then have to go through their belongings with family members. Yet when mom or dad hands you grandads 1950 JC Higgins along with a note that simply says “Grandson bust all the pop cans you come across, this old rifle has plenty left” you get a lump in your throat and manage to crack a smile.

Sure there are plenty of fancier rifles out there for learning and plinking with, but they become priceless with the memories that go along with them. All of the rifles I had this day on the range with me are that way priceless. Though I encourage all Mom’s and Dad’s to look over the surplus rack when they are looking for a 22 for a child. You often will walk away with a rifle that’s plenty accurate and one that will cost less than just about anything new you lay your eyes on. Unfortunately most of the time you won’t get the stories of these old relics, if you get a good one you can create your own memories with it. The JC Higgins that accompanied me to the range was also my sons first time shooting a rifle, one that has been handed down 4 generations.

For those that follow my postings know that it is about the review, but on this day it was about the memories. I spent time cleaning up and refinishing the stocks on these rifles to bring them back as close to the condition I once remembered them being. After this work I knew they are all functioning, but I had never fired them except for the JC Higgins with my son, well there is no better time than the present.

I would bring along
Remington 550-1
Marlin 81DL
Sears/JC Higgins

And 3 different brands of 22 ammunition to try them all out. I would have no malfunctions with any rifle, to me this is amazing considering each of the rifles were produced before 1962. After getting the new scopes adjusted they were plenty fun and accurate.
DSC01100.jpg

DSC01103.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

Full Review

4 years ago I bought a 1951 Remington 550-1 in minty condition from the original owner. He was an old guy divesting. He got it when he was a boy.
I shot a 17 pound male coon with it in 2012.

Last year I got a Marlin 80, the removable magazine version of the Marlin 81.

But those are not MY memories.

Mine would be my father's Iver Johnson model X he bought used with HIS father at a pawn shop in 1933. I got a Win 77 in 1963.

My Ted Williams 3T(Win 190)

I'm 48 and I have had it since my 11th birthday. I have shot at least 5,000 rounds through it. I have tightened the barrel nut up a few times and replaced the recoil spring and guide pin a few times.

I have shot anything from rats to deer with it on the farm and put down many suffering animal. Its put food on the table and a smile on my face for a long time.

It doesn't make it out of the safe anymore but I have been cleaning it with Balistol since new so its well preserved. It is my most cherished firearm I own.

IMG_20141126_233442_0131.jpg

Great posts guys. Lots of good memories and still plenty of good times left in these old rifles. I have several that I cherish, and love to take them out for a walk whenever I can. I even wrote a book about them that you might find interesting. The title is "Walnut and Steel: Vintage .22 Rifles" It's available on Amazon and through other booksellers, and my website is www.walnutandsteel.com. Please keep the great memories alive. It's truly refreshing to see something besides black rifles and tactical stuff.

I will be ordering the book, thank you.

The only downside to all of this is the fact that I have the old classic 22 collector bug now. :) Maybe I should have just let them sit in the safe.

Classic 22s
Got my first, Marlin 97 at age 5. That was 1955, been hoarding nice ones ever since. The new ones have no class or character. I still shoot them and
use them for small game. Back in the day if the $15 single shot came with
decent sights, scopes were rare.
c79df16c253512713b2f320dcdb9483a.jpg
cd3e807413060c6384fddebf2f9c55d4.jpg
11e0acc9405ef52232c0ef94b88fefe4.jpg

Remington 5xx series.

My personal pet is a 510, just a simple blue and wood single shot.

Back