Class III information?

Lonely Raven

Inactive
Could someone please point me to some web pages where
I can study up on Class III, what it is, if I (a civi)
can get it...

I'm in Illinois which is a non CCW state which is
very irritating...and since I want to stay close to
my parents whome are getting up there in age, I'm
not moving to a more gun friendly state any time soon.

I would just like to push and be able to own whatever
the law will possibly allow me to own. Any suggestions
and advice as to other things I can do to legally own
weapons that the librals don't consider good for me
would be much obliged.

In advance, Thanx!

http://www.nra-ila.org indicates that Illinois prohibits machineguns:

MACHINE GUNS

It is unlawful to sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or carry any weapon from which more than one shot may be discharged by a single function of the trigger, including the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

It is unlawful to sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or arry any combination of parts designed or intended for use in converting any weapon into a machine gun, or any combination or parts from which a machine gun can be assembled.

There is an exception to the above prohibition, providing for the manufacture and sale of machine guns to law enforcement personnel only. This allows class 3 dealers to possess machine guns as long as they are for distribution only to law enforcement and military personnel provided such weapons are "broken down in a non-functioning state or not immediately accessible."

This prohibition does not apply to persons licensed to manufacture machine guns or ammunition under federal law and who are actually engaged in the business of manufacturing such weapons or ammunition, but only with respect to activities which are in the lawful scope of such business, such as the manufacture, transportation or testing of such weapons or ammunition.

Also,

It is unlawful to possess a silencer.

James Bardwell's NFA FAQ (previous post) indicates the only Class III item you can own in Illinois is an AOW (Any Other Weapon), which limits you to generally amusing and useless things like short-barreled pistol-grip-only shotguns.

Motivated by the same reasons as you, and faced with the same restrictions, I got an AOW shotgun. It was an interesting exercise, but I suggest you seriously consider putting the money and effort into something more useful.

(sigh)

So it looks like the best I can do is buy "Look Alike"
silencers and pick up on pre-ban mags or move to AZ.

Thanx...

The Lonely Raven

Arizona is a great state to live in, but there are others much closer to Illinois if that is important to you. Indiana and Kentucky are 2 that come to mind.

Back