Clark Custom Ruger 77/22 22lr

I often use this forum to assuage my guilt about buying a new firearm. Here's what I got now for $999 OTD. A complete 2014 Clark Custom 77/22 with a fluted .920 barrel. It's all stainless and jeweled in absolute pristine condition. I would send a picture but I can't get my photos under the 244kb maximum. Well, how did I do for a rimfire that retails for $1595 on site? I have a retired m achinist friend who believes he can outshoot me with his Winchester 52 target with a Unertl scope.

I'd be interested in your match up.

Back in the 1960's it seemed the Ford/Chevy debate in .22lr shooting was Winchester 52 verses Anschutz 54 rifles. Winchester did better at Camp Perry while Anschutz did better at the Olympics. And Unertl 20x scopes seemed to be all the rage for 50 foot .22lr matches that allowed scopes.

The normal .22 benchrest match is call BR-50 , and is shot at 50 yards outdoors . A Win -52 is not really competitive anymore as is a Unertl and 20x is to weak . I was a top finisher in BR-50 for about 10 years . I never saw a Ruger based rifle close to being competitive , but did see a lot of people real disappointed when they showed up with theirs . Top shooters used real Olympic rifles , Russian or German , Rem 40x's out of the custom shop did well also . Most used 1 to 2 oz triggers , 36x or 40x , and custom lot ammo .

Tell your machinist friend that real men do not scope target rifles. Especially .22's. snicker.
In any case, with .22's it's mostly about the ammo.
"...photos under..." There are several free picture posting sites.
And there is no guilt unless it means you or your's won't eat.

Well, I'm too old to get into technical shooting. I would be happy with .5 @50 yds. I just spent a week shooting 1/2 " wide gophers at 50 yds or more. On/y hit 1/3 of them with a collection of cheap .22's. Next summer it's going to be gophergeddon with my new Clark Ruger!

Last time I checked, all the NRA 50 and 100 yard outdoor smallbore prone 40 shot open records shot before 1980 still stand. I am convinced ammo was better back then.

Last edited:
Back