Clark Custom Meltdown

Bud Helms

This is for the .45 owners.

In April 99 there was an article in Shooting Times about Jim Clark's custom "meltdown" treatment of the 1911. The article was written by Sheriff Jim Wilson, Handgun Editor for ST.

This "treatment" is a complete dehorning of the entire gun. It actually looks like it is melted. The result shown in the pictures was far out.

A lot more was done to the pistol besides the external radical dehorning. Trigger job, etc.

The question is, has anyone spent the big bucks for this treatment on their own 1911? It was advertised as costing $675 if you supply a basic Springfield 1911, $1350 if clark supplies the basic pistol.

Actually, I didn't know a basic Springfield 1911 cost $675. I can get one at the local gun shop for a lot closer to $500 (or less).

How about it? Has anyone seen one of these meltdown jobs?

Sensop

I have only dry-fired a Clark Custom Meltdown one time. Belongs to a friend of a friend and didn't get to shoot it myself. It looks really impressive, but it wasn't any more accurate than Ron's box stock P14 Limited, according to the targets they brought back from the range, just prettier and more expensive. I can tell you that the Clark Custom Meltdown draws much smoother than any 1911 style pistol I've ever handled. If you look around your area you can most likely find a good 1911 under 500$, should you decide that you had to have one.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

The "Meltdown" package from Clark is more than just a dehorning, it is a complete gun. Yes, you can get ANY gun "Melted" by them.

I have a Caspian Meltdown in .40 S&W that was built by Clark about 2 years ago. I love it. It is my favorite 1911 carry gun, and I would choose it over any carry 1911 I have ever shot. It is supremely accurate, the trigger is what I now use to judge other triggers, and it is one of the most reliable 1911's I have ever shot (read: no malfunctions with duty ammo, (yet, knock on wood), probably about 750-850 rounds..).

I also had the good folks at Clark "Melt" my Beretta Tomcat .32. I liked this gun a lot, for pocket gun, backup or Extreme CCW use, but I found that its sharp edges created serious "Lint Build-up" in the various crevices and moving parts of the gun.. NOT GOOD. I decided to spend the bucks to have the melting done and WHAMMO, problem solved. THe gun is super smooth and I have no more lint problems. I had them take the sights completely off, so the whole top of the gun is completely rounded. The gun still fits in and is held securely by a Blade-Tech kydex holster, os the overall dimensions must not have been changed much, although the effect is dramatic.

If you choose to own a "Melted" gun, go all the way and by a complete Meltdown from Clark.

------------------
-Essayons

Back