Clarifying Gun laws in Washington

RavenCyanide

Inactive
I wanna know the rules in buying firearms, not carrying one around but just for home or ownership. I read that you gotta be 18 to purchase one but then i saw in another site you gotta be 21. I'm a little confused here. And do you have to be a citizen to purchase / own one? Thanks.

federal law is 18 for long guns 21 for pistols. you must be in this country legally. and a resident. Resident alien is OK there is a place on the form for your Reg. number.

also add that you cannot be a convicted felon, under a court restraining order, nor have been involuntarily committed for psychiatric care. Conviction of a misdemeanor domestic violence can also disqualify you.

18 for long guns (rifle and shotgun), 21 for handguns. Wa has a waiting period for handguns, unless you have a Wa concealed weapons permit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys appreciate it!

That's a bummer, cuz I'm kinda in love with Glocks :( . Just another question, I gotta fill up a form before buying one? Just wanna make sure, and the web doesnt really helps.

yes, the feds form is a ATF form 4473 the state may have more I can't comment there. here in PA there is an state form for pistols in addition to the 4473

Keep digging, Raven. There may be nothing in state law about possessing a pistol at 18. I really don't know.

The licensed dealer has federal laws to follow. That is where the 18 / 21 ages come in.

If a family member owns a gun and lets you use it, this may not violate any WA state law. Not that this means you can carry concealed but you might be able to go to a range with an unloaded and cased weapon.

Best way to do that is with an over-21 person so he/she is actually the one with the gun. I know that doesn't always work out, not all have older brothers or dads who are into shooting.

Bart Noir
Who again says keep digging into the real laws. Try a google on WA.gov and then search there. And join Washington Arms Collectors (WAC).

Back