Civilian Marksmanship Program

Joe Portale

Hello,

I don't know if this is the place to ask this question, but here it comes anyhow....

Can anyone tell me about the Civilian Marksmanship Program. I know that it still around, but it seem to be keeping a very quiet. (Gee I wonder why)

In particular, what does the actual marksmanship program entail? How does one qualify for the purchase of a M-1 and such.

This maybe pushing my luck, but does anyone know if there are any ranges around Tucson, AZ that participates in this?

Thanks,

Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

Check out the CMP's website for more info. They even list competitions by state which makes it easy for you to find a range to qualify for your M1 Garand. And when you're ready, buy one - for the Children.
http://www.odcmp.com/

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Joe, I haven't participated in the CMP yet, but I've been working towards that goal. Check out this thread for some recent conversation regarding the program - it is in The Art of the Rifle, and it's titled 'm1 garand .... has arrived':
http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/000491.html .
Last post was around 6/25/99.

You apparently need to join an affiliated organization, so for Arizona, join the Arizona State Rifle & Pistol Association. I just joined, so I can't comment on them other than to say you need this to participate in the CMP, it is inexpensive, every firearms organization currently needs our support more than ever, and I'm looking forward to meeting great people and continuing my firearms education with this group. Their web site is at http://www.asrpa.com/ . Once you join they'll send a membership card and newsletter to you. Plenty of names and phone numbers, so I'm sure they'll be able to fill you in about where you can shoot around Tucson.

As far as I can tell, the M1 Garand is the most common firearm currently distributed by the CMP. I (like many others, I gather) will find it humorous to purchase a politically incorrect firearm, from the government, and have it delivered out of Port Clinton. Sweet irony. ;)

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited July 11, 1999).]

Joe. Try the TUCSON RIFLE CLUB. They are located just past Three Points. I don't know where you are in Tucson, but head west out Ajo Way to Three points. It is maybe a mile past Three points on the right hand side of the road. Keep a sharp eye out as the sign is patially obscure by a mesquite tree. Cost is $4.00 a day to shoot, $30.00 for membership, $35.00 for family membership. They have ranges out to 1,000 yards but that one may be closed for a while. I think they have high power matches once a month. I don't go in for that so I don't know that much about it. I do know that the rangemaster before the current one had info on getting Garands. I think they have the paperwork on hand, but am not positive. Their phone # is: (520) 822-5189. They're open 7 days a week. Great for retired old farts like me. Hope to see you there sometime.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited July 11, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited July 11, 1999).]

Back