Civil War Whitworth rifle

Modern guns are fun, but blackpowder still has a strong appeal for me. Where can I get a reproduction Whitworth rifle like the ones Johnny Reb carried during the (un)Civil War? Thanks.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Gary
Have you tried Dixie Gun Works? They carry the military target rifle version.
www.dixiegun.com
Click on the browse the catalog, then Confederate Longarms. You'll see a part number under the picture.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited April 29, 1999).]

Yes they carry that mould. Expensive though. To quote from the 1998 dixie catalog.

"WHITWORTH BULLET MOULD: a .45 caliber, 575 grain, hexagonal mould that casts a 1 /38" elongated, hollow base bullet for precision long range shooting. Sir Joseph Whitworth invented the 1 turn in 20" rifling that used a hexagonal bullet in 1854. Today, an original mould is very rare and expensive. Our modern moulds are made by the well known English gunsmith Peter Dyson; beautiful work of high quality English design and materials. The ebony handles on the three pieces-mould with color casehardened cut-off lever, hollow-base forming tool and the top punch, all with beautifully turned brass ferrules, are of the finest workmanship. A bottle of Rapine Mould Prep is shipped with each Whitworth mould set.
CA8010 Whitworth Mould................$237.50

Good evening, fal308,

Thanks for info. I don't know for sure if I am still interested. I had an original Whitworth years ago and 50 or so bullets, but no mold. When the bullets ran out I sold the rifle. I guess I got a good price for it at the time (some trade involved) but I wonder what I could get today. Oh, well, we all have those stories.

Thanks again.

Jim

Thanks to all who responded.

Jim sold an original! Agggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Jim, what type of groups did you get with it (grain of powder, powder charge, what type of patch)? What type of sights (iron or glass)?

I was reading a book on the civil war once that stated the whitworth was capable of hits out to 1800 yds. The rebels had only a few a gave them to their best sharpshooters, something like 3 rifles went to the Army of Northern Virginia.

Back