Cimmaron WWI GI

Prof Young

I'm looking at a Cimmaron 1911 A1. Can't find info about it even on the Cimmaron home page.
A new gun, they are asking $520 for it, which is a decent bit below the MSRP.
Any info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Back in 2011, just about every gunmaker (and reseller) on the planet came out with something they could offer in honor of the 100th birthday of the M1911 military pistol. Cimmaron came out with one that was made for them by Armscor, in the Philippines.

My recollection is that it's a solid pistol that shoots okay. However, as a replica of the M1911, it falls short in several regards. The deal-breaker for me is the contour of the trigger window behind the trigger. It doesn't have the M1911A1 scallop cutouts, so they tried to do it right -- but they missed by a country mile. The profile is visibly wrong. In addition, the hammer is a late WW2 style, and the thumb safety is a "teardrop" style that was never used on military M1911s or M1911A1s.

Here's a link to a photo of the Cimmaron and an original:
https://images.guns.com/wordpress/2013/02/Cimarron-1911-Compare.jpg

Review:
https://www.guns.com/news/review/cimarron-1911

Considering that they were selling for around $500 new, I wouldn't pay $520 for a used one. (But, to be honest, I wouldn't buy one at any price, because of the inaccurate frame configuration.)

The Cimarron is meant for CAS Wild Bunch events that limit "modern features."

Without that limit, you would have a more shootable pistol from the Armscor - RIA lineup where you could pick one with better sights.

Jim Watson said:
The Cimarron is meant for CAS Wild Bunch events that limit "modern features."

Without that limit, you would have a more shootable pistol from the Armscor - RIA lineup where you could pick one with better sights.

Agreed.

Prof Young, I just re-read your post:

I'm looking at a Cimmaron 1911 A1.

I just went through all the handguns on the Cimmaron web site, and I don't see any "A1" style 1911s on there. All they have are their imperfect clones of the early M1911, without the scallop relief cuts behind the trigger. IMHO, their prices are too high for what you get.

FWIW, if you're looking for an A1 version, the Tisas 1911A1 is a very nice gun for the price. Unfortunately they're a hair over $400 these days, I bought mine for just over $300 two years ago. Absolutely no issues over about 1000 rounds through it, decent trigger, great fit and finish. I'd rate it over the RIA's I've had.

Back