Cimmaron by Uberti, 45colt Quality and price

rblack

From what I understand these are suppose to be pretty good guns. My dealer has a NIB with color case hardened frame and very nice hardwood grips for $425.

Is this a decent price and anyone have any actual experience with these guns?

Thanks for any replies

Arguably, Cimmaron is generally considered as selling the best of the Italian SAA clones. Fit and finish is usually quite good, and the guns are mechanically sound. $425 is about right for a Cimmaron Uberti SAA. As with all SAAs, you should carefully check timing and lockup.

Bill

I own a Uberti Regulator in 44-40 that I bought used 2 years ago. I bought it purely for it's appearance - the fit & finish, and the quality seem to be outstanding. I'm told that the Uberti's are more authentic than a lot of other single actions (the Rugers, for example). The case hardened color comes from REAL case hardening, it is not a proprietary finish like Ruger uses. Also, my gun has no transfer bar safety. The bluing and the fitting of the birdshead grip panels are first class! I've only shot the gun on 4 or 5 occasions. The point of aim is significantly low, which is common of fixed-sight single actions (this can be remedied with some careful filing). My opinion of these guns is very good. I wish that my gun was chambered for 45 Long Colt - I'd shoot it a lot more. 'Hope this helps. Good luck.

I just stepped back in the door from shooting my own Cimmaron .45, what a coincidence! (nice to live in the middle of nowhere and need only to open the door to shoot!)Best of the traditional Colt clones I've seen yet. Mine also shoots a bit low (3") and about 1 1/2" left at 25 yds, acceptable in a fixed sight revolver and fixable by turning the bbl in a tad and filing a few thousanths off the front sight. I get my best groups using Elmer Kieths recomendation for a "light gallery load" consisting of 5 grains of Bullseye and a 250 grain cast bullet.

Uberti SAA clones have been imported by a lot of different firms, and the number of their guns in circulation probably rivals that of authentic Colts. They are pretty good guns, on the whole.
I've not handled the Cimmaron version, but I did own a 4-3/4" adjustable sighted Uberti with brass grip-frame and one-piece grips, imported by Mitchell Arms. This was a few years ago, before the Cowboy Shooting craze drove the price of SA clones through the garage roof. (I think I paid $175.) The finish and fit of this revolver were outstanding and it shot my heavy .45 Colt handloads into tiny groups, which were, unfortunately, 4" high at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. A front sight that's too tall can be filed, but if it's too short, welding or brazing on a taller blade can be a huge PIA, so I left it as is and 'aimed low'.
When the mainspring broke for the second time during a dry-fire session, I wrote the piece off and traded it.
You may find more recent Ubertis have solved the minor problems that irritated me. If they now have their spring metallurgy and sight heights straightend out, you may have a good shooting, good looking revolver. For looking, however, I prefer the real old Colts, and for shooting, the Ruger.

Thanks to all who replied, I already own a Ruger bisley vaquero in 45 long colt and like it a lot, but this Cimmaron really caught my eye. I may just have to have it also.
Jbar4Ranch, I also live in the country and shoot right out of my back door, ain't it great.

It's fantastic! Sure pisses off the wife when it's cold out and I just open the door and shoot from my easy chair though..... she hates wearing earmuffs while making lunch!

Watch the base pin retaining screw on those Cimmarons (and other clones) as they shoot loose every time you touch off a cylinderfull. Just remember to reach under there and give it a turn every time you reload.

With no price consideration, I would opt for the Colt. In practical terms, the Uberti comes in second.

Jim

Whoever writes the Cimmaron press releases is a Master. Reality, however, is much different.

I bought a Walker from them. The inside of the barrel was badly rusted. They said to send it back for a replacement which I did. They sent me the exact same gun back with the same rusted barrel.

The Schofield I bought from them was inoperative. Couldn't turn the cylinder.

I think that their quality control is about as poor as it gets. Guns bought straight from Uberti are much better.

"CINNAMON" UBERTI 45 COLT SIXGUNS

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE CIMMARON UBERTI'S HAS BEEN VERY POSITIVE.
MY 45 COLT HAS NEARLY 6000 ROUNDS THROUGH IT WITH NARY A PROBLEM. ALL HAVE BEEN 250-255GR BULLETS AT 900-925FPS.

I HAVE WELL OVER 10,000 ROUNDS THROUGH TWO UBERTI 357 SIXGUNS WITHOUT A SINGLE PROBLEM. ONE IS A 4 3/4" SA, THE OTHER IS A 3 1/2" SA. EITHER WILL OUTSHOOT MY FAVORITE 4 5/8" NM RUGER 357 AT 25 YARDS.

I HAVE BROKEN SEVERAL BOLT SPRINGS IN THE OTHER CALIBER GUNS BUT EVEN I CAN FIX THAT WITH NO PROBLEM. THESE WERE THE OLD STYLE BOLT SPRINGS AND NOT THEIR NEW STYLE OF WHICH NONE HAVE EVER BROKEN.

IF I'D HAVE GOTTEN THE CIMMARON WITH THE RUSTED BARREL MENTIONED BY KEN WALTERS I WOULD HAVE BEEN ONE PISSED OFF COWBOY, I'LL TELL YOU. GETTING IT BACK THE SECOND TIME WOULD HAVE FLIPPED MY TEMPER INTO OUTER SPACE FROM WHERE IT WOULD HAVE DESCENDED INTO THE HILL COUNTRY OF TEXAS, FREDERICKSBURG TO BE SPECIFIC. I'D HAVE HAD A BRAND NEW SIXGUN TO ASSUAGE MY IRE WHEN I LEFT THERE. LET ME SAY THOUGH,I KNOW THE OWNERS OF CIMMARON PERSONALLY AND THEY ARE DELIGHTFUL FOLKS FROM THE HEART OF TEXAS. I CANNOT IMAGINE THEIR NOT BEING EMBARRASSED TO NO END BY SUCH A SITUATION AS THIS AND I'LL BET THEY'D STILL MAKE IT RIGHT NOW. TM
WHOOPS...DANG...JUST NOTICED I POSTED THIS ALL IN CAPS WHICH IS HOW ALL THE DATA IS ENTERED HERE AT WORK. I FORGET THE DAMN THINGS ARE ON GUYS...PLEASE DON'T SHOOT....AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Shoot you, Terry? Nah. We'll just let you off for a case of ammo each, in compensation for our pain and suffering caused by your negligent keyboard operation. I'll take 135 gr 10mm please.

A CASE OF 10MM-135 AMMO...

NO PROBLEMO, MY FRIEND! IT'S IN THE TRUCK AS WE SPEAK AND I'LL SHOOT IT UP THIS WEEKEND. WHY DON'T I EVER THINK OF THESE EASY BALMS FOR MY EMBARRASSING MOMENTS...TM

Wanna come along...?

Back