Cimarron vs EAA

Kvon2

Hi all,

Not sure if I should post this here or in cowboy action but looking for some opinions here.

In the next few months I'm hoping to pick up an 1873 replica. I believe Cimarron has a great reputation but they are a little more expensive than the EAA imports. I don't have much experience with single actions. The biggest functional difference between the two that I'm aware of is that EAA has a transfer bar and no firing pin on the hammer. The Cimarron seems to be a more historically accurate but that does not really bother me.

My question is, which would you recommend? This will strictly be something to have fun at the range with. The price of the EAA is certainly more appealing but is there a major sacrifice in quality?

Howdy

Cimarron is an importer, they do not manufacture anything. Most of their revolvers were made by Uberti. I believe they may also be importing some Pietta guns now too. Regarding price, for a long time there was a myth that Cimarron's products were better made than the revolvers imported by the other companies, such as Navy Arms or Taylors. Complete baloney. They all come off the same production lines, and other than some individual markings, there is nothing any better about the guns Cimarron imports than any other company. The thing to look for is who has the best service policy, and for my money it is Taylors.

I don't know anything about the EAA guns other than they are made in Germany. But for my money, if I wanted a single action revolver with a transfer bar I would buy a Ruger.

I have several revolvers from Cimarron, and it does seem that there are options/models from Cimarron not available from other importers. The guns that I have gotten from Cimarron are first rate with actions much better than those from Stoeger, which are the only two sources that I have.

Bob Wright

Also, keep in mind that EAA has the worst reputation for customer service in the industry.

I have zero experience with EAA because of this. I've seen enough posts by actual owners with legit gripes that I just never could pull the trigger. I toyed around with the idea of a witness 10mm... But there was the cracked slides, which apparently was fixed in later models, but CS issues abound. Its unfortunate. EAA has some unique models that interest me. For the dirt cheap sub $300 range at one point I thought about the SAR B6P just as a fun beat around gun. And the price is right on their SA revolver as well, but again don't trust them if there are issues.

The question is: Do you want a clone or a replica? Uberti and Pietta single actions are clones; direct copies of the Colt SAA, The EAA Bounty Hunter is not. While the grip profile is identical to the Colt, the revolver is closer in size to a Ruger. It also has the same type of transfer bar ignition as Ruger; permitting safe carry of a fully loaded cylinder. Uberti/Pietta models do not and must be loaded with 5 rounds just like the Colt. One more thing. The Bounty Hunter has recessed case rims. This is important if you are considering cowboy action shooting as the range officials will have a much harder time determining if your weapon s loaded. If you are looking at the .357 Magnum, be advised that the Bounty Hunter can use Magnum ammo that neither the Uberti nor Pietta, and not even a Ruger, can handle.
The Bounty Hunter has been around for decades. Currently made by Weihrauch (Germany), it can trace it's roots to Sauer & Sohns and is kin to the Hawes Western Marshall and Herter's PowerMag sixguns.

Last edited:
@DWFan it would strictly be for fun at the range and the replica/clone thing is not an issue. However it seems EAAs customer service is the deterrent here. Ultimately I'll probably go with the Cimarron.

Back