Cimarron model '71 45-70

After horrible experiences with my Remlin Guide Gun, I decided it was time to move on to a new lever 45-70. I landed on the Cimarron model 71 classic version with 24in barrel. This particular rifle is manufactured for Cimarron by Pedersoli of Italy, both companies with excellent reputations for quality and customer service .
I've had two of these guns. One, I examined in the gun shop where I had it shipped. I discovered the butt plate was ill-fitting and the foregrip was loose enough to shove a dollar bill through. Cimmaron made it right, no questions asked, and sent me a new one.
This second one was flawless aesthetically, but when I got it home and loaded the tube to maximum capacity, it would not cycle the first cartridge. After juggling the lever a bit, the cycling commenced flawlessly until it was empty. I repeated the process, and each time, the lever would seize on the first shell. At first I thought it might be the ammo, (plastic tip "Leverlution") so I attempted multiple cartidges with multiple style bullets. All produced the same result. This one must also be sent back.
Has anyone else owned one of these guns and if so, have you encountered this action problem? Obviously I am quite skeptical about another replacement rifle given my experience with the first two. Is this a fluke on the part of a reliable and well reputed company, or there some issues going on at Cimarron or Pedersoli that I am not privy to?

I have never seen the particular problem you describe.

In general Cimarron model 71s don't have a great reputation. The Miroku 1886 models aren't any more expensive (L)NIB (although they can be hard to find) and are probably better though of. Most people prefer the Browning labeled ones to the Winchester ones because of the classic ignition system.

Sorry you're having trouble. I'd probably just return it again - they still owe you a gun that works.

Are you saying it'll do it if you only load one then try and cycle it or is it only when the tube has 4 in it that it jams?

It still occurs when I only load one. If I load the tube to capacity, it'll only jam on the first cartridge, and cycle the rest like butter. Whether I only load one or four, it always jams on the first attempt.

Thanks for the input. Do you mind elaborating on their poor reputation?
I don't have a lot of details, but I think there have been cases where the parts dimensions were not in spec to the Winchester prints. Lack of dimensional control could easily explain both the problems you've had.

Back