Cimarron 1897 question.

.50cal packer

So after reading a bit about this gun, I've learned it comes choked. With that being said, what choke should be used for a CAS? I'm trying to learn all I can about CAS, and have read the books on SASSNET.COM. But chokes weren't original, and they aren't mentioned. I mentor I have here on the firing line, told me to use "plated" bullets. I knew the lube from cast, can cause a rifle to be a PITA. Is there a good "plated" brand to start with to accumulate brass and how does one plate while reloading? I've seen the powder coated bullets. People who use the "shake and bake" method, finds it a hit or miss. And I've seen lots of photos of the missed. What a mess. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

A choke won't make any difference at CAS ranges and I dunno who told you to use plated bullets but they're.......n/m. I never had a lube/rifle problem using home cast bullets with homemade lube in a Rossi 92.

Hawg,
I know '92's are a little more cantankerous than the '94's. So knowing that you haven't had problems, is a good thing. But, just so I'm clear to everyone reading this, "plated" is not "jacketed." All CAS, must be in unjacketed projectile.

I'm pretty sure that the choke tube that was sold in a Cimarron 97 is a modified and should do fine for CAS.

I might be wrong, wouldn't be the first time but I thought the Cimarron 97 had screw in chokes.

I know '92's are a little more cantankerous than the '94's.

The 94 is a long action designed for a rifle cartridge from the get go. I've heard of more problems with them feeding pistol length cartridges than I have the 92. The 92 is cantankerous when it comes to dual cartridges like .38/.357. They seem to want to feed one or the other but not always both. Mine is a 44-40.

The Cimarron 97 does use a screw in choke, and I'm correcting myself as it is not modified but in fact it is improved cylinder.

Apparently the only option offered was IC to my knowledge.

I had read somewhere that Baikal tubes work but don't know if that is true.

Last edited:
Back