Cimarron 1878 SxS Coach question

jmstr

Just tried my new Cimarron 1878 SxS Coach shotgun on snapcaps at the LGS. I like it overall, but was wondering if there is any design intent reason for the left barrel/trigger [dual trigger system] being about 30-40% stiffer than the right barrel/trigger?

It isn't unmanageable, and my lack of familiarity with SxS shotguns makes me unaware if there might be a reason- maybe to reduce the chance of hammers slipping off the sear when the first round goes off?

However, my personal firearm sense makes me suspicious if the trigger pull isn't even. My LC Smith has two triggers and they take the same amount of force for either barrel.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Usually on doubles the left or second trigger has a higher weight of pull. Your LC Smith should have the same arrangement, left trigger slightly higher in weight of pull. Don't forget the Smith is much older than your coach gun. The only sure way to know is with a trigger pull gauge.

The heavier weight on the second trigger is for safety, if your finger slips from the front trigger during recoil the second barrel could fire.

If your like doubles then get a copy of Shotguns and Shooting By Michael McIntosh, One of the best shotgun books ever published.

Thanks,

That is the type of thing I was thinking of. I was not thinking of my finger slipping, but of the recoil of the first shot causing the hammer to slip off the sear on the second hammer [sear bounce].

I'll look into polishing parts for smoothness/crispness, but I'll leave the weight of pull alone.

Back