Chrono's and indoor ranges.

Pond James Pond

As many probably know chronographs, or at least my model, don't like fluorescent tube lights since the emit s flickering light that, while too high in frequency for our eyes to register, does interfere with a chrono's measurements.

Today I went to an indoor range to chrono some handloads. Knowing that they had fluorescent lights, I packed the chrono's diffusers and a wide-angle incandescent torch with a plan of angling the beam onto both diffusers thus allowing it to take readings! :cool:

....it didn't work.

So can you recommend any cheap and easy solutions to this little problem?

If I can't solve this I am forced to do all my chrono checks in very sub-zero temperatures.... :(

I don't know if these are available by you, but if they are, being LED 12v powered, self adhesive, flexible & bright they might solve your problem. They come in longish (18") strips but you can cut to length.

Designed to add lights to automobiles for "bling", flex LED strips from WalMart here in the U.S.
They're also available on E-Pay.

Here they are stuck on my reloading press but they'll stick to any clean slightly curved or flat surface.
x36p.jpg

Those could well do the trick.

My chrono actually does better in less intense light, but those, mounted above the diffuser, as opposed to underneath, could well do the trick.

There is a sort of electronics component shop I know of that might have them.

Ok this is kinds redneck but it worked for me when I shot indoors. I had a shooting chrony. I made a base for it out of wood that had a wood post on either end along side the sensors. I screwed light sockets into the posts and wired them up with a plug. Put bulbs in it and plugged them in. Worked fine

Ok this is kinds redneck but it worked for me when I shot indoors.

I have no issue with redneck solutions!!

That might also be worth a try.
I feel a weekend project coming on!!

I would simply need to work out how to thread a tripod into the base so that I can use it from a standing position.

Let us know how you make out. I don't have a chrony any longer but I made a brace for my sky screens using shelving brackets (the metal brackets w precut holes). I screwed the brackets into the base I made for the sky screens, it was centered and the hole is perfect size for tripod screw. Put the tripod through the bracket hole and put a nut on it.

Back