Chronograph for .22lr?

Runs With Fire

I'm going to run some long winded tests on ammo, mostly 22lr out of pistols and rifles. Some 22mag, and other handgun calibers. What's the best chronograph for small, slow bullets? And would it work fine for other calibers too? I'm putting one on my whish list soon. It will be used mainly for ammo comparisons on my YouTube channel.

22 rimfire ammo is best chronographed for valid results with clean barrels that shoot 4 or 5 fouling shots. The first couple shots from clean barrels leave faster and strike about 2 MOA high.

Accuracy degrades after 60 shots so barrel needs cleaned.

Either a good optical or the Magnetospeed V3. I have used a ProChrono optical for over ten years now. Using the Digital Link will allow you to connect via bluetooth to a tablet or cellphone and for control. The data can be exported to a spreadsheet and the software allows you to input a lot of details into the records. Exporting data can get a bit tricky but it works, I email the files to myself and import into Excel to keep records. Prochrono with the Digital Link run about $125. Get a cheap universal laser boresight to use with it for easy setup and a good tripod and you are set for less than $200. The Magnetospeed V3 version will do rimfire but the price will double. I have no experience with it's data export other than I know it uses a SD card.

Last edited:
any chronograph should do. I have a caldwell that i got for around $80 and I have used it for everything from 30-06 down to 22s with no problems.

Back