Chroming Slide on a Lt, Wt. Commander

Vee

I recently read that the slide can be chromed. Can anyone tell me where I can have a slide chromed? How much does it cost?

Does anyone have experience with this process? Is the finish chrome colored or is there a black chrome?

If you have any experience in this area, please advise.

Vee

------------------

Vee, I offer this service but I don't do it myself. I have an associate who does my chroming and nickel plating. The slide alone would run you $85 plus shipping. You can get it in Hard Chrome, Satin Chrome, Black Chrome. Just e-mail me for details. George

George,

Can other parts be chromed? Is it feasible to chrome all parts? I prefer to keep the pistol black. What do you recommend?

Is one finish more durable than the other?

Vic

------------------

Vee, the alloy frame would need to be anodized but the rest of the gun could be chromed, nickeled etc. I got your e-mail and will write you back tomorrow. George

Thank you for the reply. I looke forward to hearing the answers to my other questions.

[This message has been edited by Vee (edited November 15, 1999).]

George, this is one of those FWIW deals: Around 1981, a gunsmith buddy of mine got an electroless nickel nickel-plating system.

We de-anodized an LW Cmdr with oven cleaner, smoothed off all the sharp corners and bevelled the mag well, etc. He then used a double-strength solution and left the frame in the stuff for twice the standard length of time. Came out great!

It was a nop-holster carry-gun for a year or so, and I've put maybe a thousand rounds through it. No signs of problems with the plating...

Art, that sounds interesting. My guy refuses to plate alloy at all but his plate/anodizing jobs lood so good that the question never came up. George

Back