Chrome shotgun barrel inside

riverdog

Is this done? The reason I ask is that a friend has a 16 gauge shotgun that collects a lot of powder residue and was wondering if there was a way to chrome the inside of the barrel to reduce the residue and corrosion during hunting season in MI.

I would think 10 seconds and a Boresnake would be mucho cheaper.

shotgun.gif

It can be done, but there's cheaper ways, like that boresnake.More frequent cleaning and lubes as PM should help a lot,and the best polish one can put on a bbl is shooting it plenty.

Some shotguns come with chromed bores from the factory. I know of no aftermarket smiths that do this. Try Robar or maybe Wilson.

JB's Bore Paste?

Would JB's Bore Paste work to polish the inside of a shotgun barrel? I'm assuming his prolem is a rough bore that grabs powder and residue. If the bore was polished with JB's that problem should be ameliorated. I've only used JB's in bolt rifles. Seems it would be fine in a shotgun.

re: barrel hone

Robe -- Perfect. Pulled out the catalog and that's exactly what he needs and much cheaper than chrome. Thanks.

Barrel Hones

Please be careful if you go in this direction. Depending on the gun too much honing can thin the barrels to unacceptable levels. Often older guns that burst don't do so because of bad steel but because they were reamed out by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

If interior pitting is a problem, a gunsmith well versed in shotgun work is the best bet.

PJR, Thanks I'll pass that on.

Its an older double barrel 16 gaugeand I think just needs polishing and not metal removed, but its a good thing to remember.

You can polish the inside of the barel with a piece medium grade "Scotch-Brite" pad wrapped around a wooden dowel. Chuck up the dowel in an electric hand drill and run at slow to medium speed. I put a slit in the dowel and put the end of the pad in the slit. You can turn the pad over and then swap ends of the pad and have four new surfaces from one piece of pad. Make sure the Scotch Brite is tight in the barrel. It removes very little metal and really puts a nice finish. The same can be done with emery paper, but I like the Scotch Brite better. Finish off with J B Bore Paste on a wool mop. Much cheaper than a hone with less chance of taking off too much metal. John K

It just keeps getting better :)

This is the best idea yet. Its cheap and if it works you've wasted nothing, if it doesn't work, you've wasted very little and the best part is the chance of actual damage is very small. I like it a lot.

I had forgotten about the scotch brite pad. That is a good thing to try first.I have used that before too. I also used it to polish and clean out the magazine tube as well.

Back