Chrome lining of a arisaka type 99

Spaz86

First of all hello i am new to the tfl site so i am going to give this my best go and hope its in the right place. Almost a year ago i enherited a type 99 and i was wondering how many rounds can it fire before it shot out. the rifleing and bore is bright and are as plain as day. I do know the rifle did see some use in wwII and it was surrendered.

Last edited:
A US Springfield of the same vintage, without chrome lined barrel, was still going strong at 6000 rounds.

I never heard of anybody shooting an Arisaka that much.

With ammo as pricey as it is i can see that. i mean everything is fine its shoots straight and handles well for a rifle that sat in a basement for 60+ years.

Frankford Arsenal did a study on barrel wear and the accuracy continued to improve even after tens of thousands of rounds. This is in the old NRA Reloaders Handbook. IMO, cut rifiling lasts longer. It was not so much the amount of rounds fired in an older military rifle as the corosive primers and the powder used at the time. Some 7.7's made late had no chrome lining and used inferior steel. Some of them had really ugly bores.

Thank you for that info A+ i have been looking all over and yes i am new to ww2 rifle's. I got mine almost a year ago was my first one. but i do know that my arisaka type 99 was made around 1941-1942 it got on the nice features minus the dust cover is gone but my rifle is all number matching. plus at the time when they made the rifle they was not putting mono pods on and has a short cleaning rod.

Last edited:
The Japanese did not chrome plate the bore for longer life as such, but to prevent rusting from corrosive primers and moisture in tropical areas. It worked very well and was only dropped in the late rifles to speed production.

Jim

Thank you for all your guys input. i was left this rifle not knowing what it even was at first so i am just doing my research before turning it to weekend shooting rifle so i know if i can get away with it. i don't want to do anything that will end up making it a display piece.

The rifling in the Type 38 and Type 99 rifles is cut rifling, it is just not cut in the way we generally use. It is Metford rifling, which the British were using (in the Lee-Metford) at the time the Japanese were developing their Type 29 and Type 30 rifles. The Japanese copied it and retained it through the later types. It was claimed to have advantages in reduced erosion, but long term use proved that not to be true.

The Japanese at that time considered the British the world leader (with good reason) in military and naval power and followed British practice in many aspects as they built up their own army and navy.

Jim

I've been shooting a hand me down Arisaka for over 30 years but not as much recently. If you reload, ammo can be loaded for around the same cost as most .30 caliber rifles but the .311" bullets cost just a little more.

I started with the over priced Norma cases then started forming cases from military '06 brass. Any 1960 or later military cases work great but I prefer LC Mach brass when I can find it. I have a bunch of brass from a DCM match that I've been meaning to form but with all the rifles I've acquired over the years, the old Arisaka just doesn't get as much attention as it used to.

I took my first deer with it and I loaded it to a fellow that got his first deer with it also. I'd probably let my grandsons hunt with it but when I was young and dumb I bubba'ed the stock by grafting on a chunk of wood at the back and installed a recoil pad. Now it's too long for shorter shooters.

Tony

yeah once i can get the money up i plan on reloading with brass since its back on the market and once i get good at reloading i will start forming from 30-06 brass. For now i am just trying to get used to shooting again since i mess my shoulder up from bowling some time back. but next deer season i plan on going deer hunting with it and see how it works for me.

There is a lot of old nonsense still around to the effect that forming 7.7 cases from .30-06 is bad because the 7.7 case is so big at the base that a .30 case will bulge and burst, blowing up that cheap Japanese junk rifle, etc.

Not true on either count. The Arisaka rifles are quite strong and the base diameter of the 7.7x58 is well within the +/- range for the .30 caliber.

The main caution in forming 7.7x58 cases from .30-06 is that due to the 7.7 case being shorter, the neck area of the reformed case can be a bit thicker than it should be, so case necks should be checked and turned if necessary.

Jim

The main caution in forming 7.7x58 cases from .30-06 is that due to the 7.7 case being shorter, the neck area of the reformed case can be a bit thicker than it should be, so case necks should be checked and turned if necessary.

If there is a source or a rumor I had nothing to do with it. I have formed thousands of 7.7 Japanease cases for different rifles. I do prefer cases with thick case heads. My favorite thick headed case is the R-P 30/06 case. Most are .260” thick from the top of the cup above the web to the case head.

F. Guffey

I owned an Arisaka that was converted (Chamber re-cut) to 30-06 by the US Military, and marked so. I don't know how many, but I believe a couple thousand were done during the Korean war for South Korean use. There should be no problem using 30-06 brass to reload.

In theory the case head is larger on the 7.7mm round than the .30-06 but I measured some Norma 7.7mm cases and they were the same size.

I've found with the 3 Arisaka rifles I loaded for (now 2) is that the thicker neck takes up the slop in the military chamber and gives improved accuracy. I've never had to ream a reformed '06 case.

I prefer military '06 cases for because they last longer and don't have the caliber headstamped on them...

Tony

Back