Chrome Barrel question..

markd

I have a AR-15 that has a chrome lined barrel and was wondering what type of bore slovents I should/should not use on it? I bought a copper solvent but it smelled like ammonia and was told not to use anything with ammonia in it. So what brands do you guys use? I shoot mainly FMJ rounds.

thanks

I know this is a stupid question, but what's the reason for having a chrome lined barrel? How many rounds can be fired through a chrome barrel? Will a brass cleaning brush damage the bore? Humor me.

chromed barrels rust less...like a chromed bumper...low maintenance is the key...a brass brush shouldnt significantly damage the bore,since brass brushes are standard issue in the military...i use a plastic brush..it does the job and is a tad easier on the chrome, but thats just me.
you should stick with fmj bullets,the rifle is designed for them,they slide into the chamber more easily than lead tipped
clp works fine...break free , or tri flow

The reason you should use fmj bullets is due to the gas system. Lead tipped bullets can clog the gas tube.

Thanks for everyone's imput on this. I really like being able to come here and get my questions answered because I still new to it all. But with boards like this newcomers can miss making those mistakes that will cost an injury or worse, destroying a new gun. So thanks again.

markd

Back