Christmas Idea

CluelessPew

Hey All,

I am looking to get my brother a AR15 for Christmas. It will be his first (my 3rd) build. He wants it shorter so I am going with about a 10.5", I was thinking to do just a 5.56 for the versatility, but is there a better one that would suit a newcomer to the firearm world better? I am looking at Delta team tactical (I have linked them below) thanks to their prices. So to all the weathered veterans and boogaloo boys, what would you guys recommend? Thx for any input.

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/ar15-lr308-complete-upper-builds.html

Depends on what he wants/needs. I personally steer clear of the ar pistols, especially with the new brace ban looming. In my limited experience shooting them i prefer an 8in. 10.5 is ok as long as it has a short muzzle device. Anything longer does not make enough difference to matter imho. Also with a new ar user, short barrels make a lot of boom, not always the best. A good linear comp like the kaw valley and others can really help.

I guess one of the first things you should be asking is what does he intend to do with it? Range toy, hunt, home defense.
Regarding Delta Team Tactical (and their sister company Davidson Defense)..most of their products are cheap junk. I've bought from them, been burned by them a couple times and learned my lesson. Buying a Bear Creek upper would be an upgrade from DTT's cobbled together garbage..
Length: if running 5.56/.223, I've found barrels under 10.5 inches cause reliability problems, others may disagree, just my personal experience. I dont shoot short barrels like that anymore, they're unpleasant.
My suggestion...buy a stripped upper and build exactly what he wants.
Or, if you dont want to build, there are affordable complete uppers at RightToBear and Palmetto State Armory too. You can also occasionally find cheap completes at CDNN, flash sales from Primary Arms, and sales at AR15discounts.
And, as AguilaBlanca mention, pistol braces may not be around much longer, SBR's are a pain to register, might be better to stick with 16" barrel, and an M4gery is a great place to start. They're light, rugged, and reliable, and darn near everyone makes one.

Last edited:
At a barrel length of 10.5 inches, it's either a pistol, or an "other." You -- and he -- should be aware that "other" AR-15 pattern firearms are SQUARELY in the crosshairs of the Biden administration and the BATFE right about now.

I'm sure there are those (including here) who will respond that I am being overly conservative, but my advice is that if your brother EVER intends to shoot this thing as a rifle (i.e. with the stock against his shoulder rather than just holding the firearm with both hands out in front of his torso) it would be much safer (legally) to just be satisfied with a 16-inch carbine or an M4gery.

Back