Christensen or Bergara

USAF Ret

Looking at doing some wheeling and dealing on some of my current firearms with my LGS. Planning on buying a 6.5 CR and 308 do it all for hunting. Hung up on these two - Christensen Ridgeline or Bergara Highlander. Biggest difference is weight. Bergara is about $300 less and weighs about a pound and a half more. Christensen has a carbon wrapped barrel and Bergara is a standard matte blue fluted barrel.

I like both rifles. I have a Mesa and it is a tack driver. However, pencil thin barrel and that sucker gets hot. Both have outstanding triggers. Hard to decide. Maybe even get the Christensen in a 308 for elk and the 6.5 Bergara mostly for deer. IDK.

I've got a Christensen .22 and I honestly wish it was a little heavier. I've also got a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 and completely agree with you about the pencil thin barrel heating up FAST.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either the Christensen or Bergara, if it is strictly for hunting you really don't have to worry about the barrel heating up as it won't be shot all that much, maybe you aren't far off thinking both of them ;)

I've got a Christensen .22 and I honestly wish it was a little heavier. I've also got a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 and completely agree with you about the pencil thin barrel heating up FAST.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either the Christensen or Bergara, if it is strictly for hunting you really don't have to worry about the barrel heating up as it won't be shot all that much, maybe you aren't far off thinking both of them ;)
I looked at a Kimber Hunter for my late son. Had them on sale at the PX. It was a super light rifle. I just didn't care for the stock. I got him a Bergara B-14 for his birthday last year, but he passed away before I was able to give it to him. Literally one of the best triggers I have ever felt.

I thought Bergara was from Spain. I could be wrong, I often am. I'd handle a few and buy the one you like best that's in your budget.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Looking at doing some wheeling and dealing on some of my current firearms with my LGS. Planning on buying a 6.5 CR and 308 do it all for hunting. Hung up on these two - Christensen Ridgeline or Bergara Highlander. Biggest difference is weight. Bergara is about $300 less and weighs about a pound and a half more. Christensen has a carbon wrapped barrel and Bergara is a standard matte blue fluted barrel.

I like both rifles. I have a Mesa and it is a tack driver. However, pencil thin barrel and that sucker gets hot. Both have outstanding triggers. Hard to decide. Maybe even get the Christensen in a 308 for elk and the 6.5 Bergara mostly for deer. IDK.
Maybe a "tweener" that can do double duty (or are you simply looking for an excuse like boating accident to increase the collection?). I recently took a close look at the 6.8 western in a browning x-bolt and was mighty impressed by the new cartridge (and rifle). Here's an interesting discussion about the new cartrdge.

I thought Bergara was from Spain. I could be wrong, I often am. I'd handle a few and buy the one you like best that's in your budget.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
I believe you are correct, Taylor. And thanks. Priorities and life all changed with that.

Maybe a "tweener" that can do double duty (or are you simply looking for an excuse like boating accident to increase the collection?). I recently took a close look at the 6.8 western in a browning x-bolt and was mighty impressed by the new cartridge (and rifle). Here's an interesting discussion about the new cartrdge.
My concern is recoil. I have a titanium rod in my neck and shoulder problems. 90% VA rated disabled. It sucks. A 270 without a brake is about my limit.

I shoot Christensens. Got the rigdline in the 6.5 CM with the short barrel for my suppressor. It’s a one hole gun. I also have the Summit TI in 6.5 PRC, 28 Nosler and 300 PRC. Those last three I’m consistently on steel out to 1200. I love the Christensen Arms rifles.

I shoot Christensens. Got the rigdline in the 6.5 CM with the short barrel for my suppressor. It’s a one hole gun. I also have the Summit TI in 6.5 PRC, 28 Nosler and 300 PRC. Those last three I’m consistently on steel out to 1200. I love the Christensen Arms rifles.
Thanks ChimpMunk. The thing I love about the Christensen is the weight. How well does the carbon wrapped barrel do with heat?

Back