Christensen Arms Ranger .22 Ruptured Cases and (so far) great customer service

Rob228

I was at the indoor range today (I try to shoot unsupported standing at 50 feet at least once a week, it really tells you quite a bit about how good of a shot you really aren't) and got a much louder report than normal (shooting Aguila competition, standard velocity). I could see smoke coming out of the magazine well and my impact was about three inches low. I pulled the bolt and checked the barrel and it was clear, everything looked normal. It happened twice more in a row, so I tried some Remington Thunderbolt that I had in the range bag with the same result (see picture of blown cases).

Within ten minutes of reaching out to Christensen Arms customer support they had emailed me back with a shipping label saying that they would take care of everything. I'll post updates as they get the rifle, what they say and how they solve the problem but I am fairly impressed with their response so far (the email was generated by an actual person, not a robot). I know it shouldn't happen with any firearm, and one in this price range is especially disappointing but if they make it right I've got no problem continuing to be a customer.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Brass.jpeg
    Brass.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 218
Bummer--I'm guessing a headspace issue between the barrel and bolt face, tolerances were smaller on my CZ when I put a Lilja on than what would typically work on a larger centerfire.

Just got the following email, took a few days over a month (not too bad).

attachment.php

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 129
Got it back in the mail today. I can see about 1/2" of bedding in front of the receiver and a brand new shiny barrel. Taking it to the range tomorrow for a test run.

Took it to the range today. Shoots great, but shows a distinct preference for expensive ammo. 5 rounds groups at 50 yards

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image0 3.jpeg
    image0 3.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 74
Back