Chopping Barrels on shotguns and some rifles.

freakintoguns

say i want to cut my Remington 870's barrel down to 14" from 18" what do i legally need to do in order to do this? same for a rifle, say i gotta older lever action and want to chop the barrel down and the stock too. do i just need to get the 200 tax stamp?

Besides the feds most states have laws against "sawed off" rifles or shotguns. Some states register them some don't and wont allow under any conditions.

If your state doesn't prohibit them, it's actually a pretty easy process. There are two ways you can do it.

1. Fill out a form1, get your CLEO to sign it, get a finger print card done, passport photo and certification of citizenship; then mail it all off to the ATF in WV with a $200 check, then wait.

2. Create a revocable living trust, fill out the form1, and citizenship cert and mail it all in with a copy of the trust and $200 check.

cool guys thansk for all the help, look slike im good to go as far as NM is concerned :cool: so i guess my next question si this, do i need to posess the stock rifle and/or shotgun before i do a form 1?

so i guess my next question si this, do i need to posess the stock rifle and/or shotgun before i do a form 1?

Yes, because you'll need the serial numbers and have to get it engraved with your info.

well let me chime in....i have already tried to contact my local atf and i have no intentions of performing illegal activities! that said.......i would like to own a 14 in barreled 12 ga shotgun for personal home defense...imoa, it makes sense for a close quarter defense system.now my question is(try to follow me here) if you can buy a taurus judge or derringer .410 pistol, why cant i legally own a short barreled pistol grip 12 gauge? even with a rifled barrel? i can own a ar 15 "pistol" why not a mossberg 500 "pistol"?

Your first mistake is in assuming that there is some sort of logic behind these laws. There isn't, unless you look at them from a purely political standpoint. That being said, it doesn't make any real PRACTICAL difference, but a whole lot of LEGAL difference.

good point but a law abiding citezen would want it to be done legally, criminals do not...hell id pay the money and get it regestered right along with my concealed carry, i have no intentions of useing any weapon in illegal activities.they can have my finger prints and picture because i have nothing to hide

Then you've got two routes to go (assuming that your state is clear with both of these); either as a SBS, or as an AOW. If you buy a ready-made AOW (like the Serbu Shorty), the transfer tax will only be $5, while the transfer tax on a SBS is $200. However, you can normally find more accessories for a SBS, and they're generally easier to make by yourself.

if you can buy a taurus judge or derringer .410 pistol, why cant i legally own a short barreled pistol grip 12 gauge? even with a rifled barrel? i can own a ar 15 "pistol" why not a mossberg 500 "pistol"?

1. The .410 derringer is actually a handgun chambered for the .45 Long Colt cartridge and the .410 shotgun shell just happens to be the same diameter and both of which are < 1/2" in diameter.

2. Because the Mossberg 500 "pistol" in 12-gauge has a barrel > 1/2" in diameter. If it were not already classified a Shotgun, Short barreled shotgun or AOW, it would fall into the Destructive Device category. You still couldn't have an unregistered one.

You can NOT make an AOW from an existing shotgun. It must be an SBS.

You can provided the shotgun has never has a shoulder stock attacked, for example a factory built Pistol-Gripped only Mossberg 500.

If you are doing the build yourself on a form 1, might as well go with a SBS versus a AOW.

My reasoning on this is that either conversion will cost you $200.00 for the stamp, so why not cover your bases if you ever decide to put a stock on it.

Joat

Some of this reminds me of the kid asking his father why he can't smoke pot and shoot heroin when the old man drinks like a fish and pops prescription pills.

The answer is simple. The latter is legal, the former is not. Rail and rant, and scream about the unfairness of the law, make comparisons with legal actions, but that dividing line is still there.

Either obey the law or not. Either way, I refer you to that Alaskan village, Kwitcherbellyakin.

Jim

the whole point of this thread was to help me know whati need to do to havea 12" barreled shotgun, and a "pistol"gripped SBR lever action. not argue the ins and outs of the ATF NFA and the such.

Back