Choosing to be a prey?

erminio

Hi guys, I guess this is the right forum.. I'd like your opinion about a fact.

I've been robbed some year ago; two guys and a knife next to my throat, late evening, no pain, every thing valuable get lost.

The strange thing, well, the one I just can't stop thinking about, is: I'm young , tall and in a good shape; they didn't seem drugged or desperate, so I guess they could choose anyone else, just waiting some minute or in another street.. no, they pick up me in a well-lighted street. Why? Maybe I was "looking like a prey"? I have to say it, these days I had a lot of personal troubles..maybe I let them visibles and those guys "saw" them?
I've been hit, yesterday, watching the extras of "Black Hawk Down", when a Delta Trainer said that is important to be aggressive, even if you are in dire straits.

I'd like your opinion cause I feel I need to change my attitude about this.

Thanks!

Erminio

You could change your outlook a little. Yes your actions tell others a lot about you.

Confident/ready attitude and mannerism should not be confused with cocky/chip on shoulder.

stuff happens, it takes time, but you will get over it. Every one of us cannot win every time. Bet you will be more prepared next time though, and that is what counts. I am glad you are around to tell us about it.

You can choose to be passive, aggressive or assertive in your mannerisms and general demeanor.

Passivity (head down, hands in pockets, not paying attention to surroundings) makes you a viable target to someone looking to attack someone. You look like food and he's hungry (to rephrase Clint Smith).

Aggresiveness (staring, mouthing off, etc.) keys in on the bad guy's territorial nature. He mouths off. You mouth off. Everyone knows where this is going and you're both engaging in mutual combat (essentially).

Assertiveness (a quick glance and nod to let him know you saw him but not staring) will tend to make the bad guy look elsewhere. You're not threatening him and you aren't trailing slowly behind the rest of the pack...

Assertiveness is also tied to awareness in the context of self-defense. Pay attention, let 'em know you're paying attention and don't be aggressive unless the fight is inevitable (i.e., you can't avoid, deescalate or deterr it).

When I was riding public transportation to get to/from work, I discovered very soon that looking scruffier/rougher than the rest of the crowd was a good thing.

Back