Choosing good Rem 700 scope bases (TPS & others)

bcrash15

I'm piecing together a Remington 700 and the only thing left I need is a scope base. I have heard good things about the TPS bases, and I would like to get one, but I have not been able to find any in stock anywhere, and any estimates are about 1.5-2 months out.

I like the TPS bases, but I am not sure they are worth waiting that long. I have been looking at other options such as Warne and Seekins. Does anyone have experience with those or other similar priced bases? I like how the TPS is advertised as having the "recoil shoulder which locks it down under recoil." I haven't seen any other bases advertise a similar feature, but I have read in reviews that the TPS base has "similar construction and features as many other high end bases." So I am wondering if this recoil thing is just a common feature on the more expensive bases.

Also, for my specific scope, I have been told that a TPS 20-MOA base and the TPS low rings work perfectly (I have already ordered the TPS low rings as they were in stock). But I have also read how there can be differences between the height of different brand bases that is not always insignificant. For example, I have heard EGW bases are particularly high. I am trying to figure out if I go with another base is there anything I can do before ordering to check for fit as I don't see any published dimensions.

TPS is good. No doubts about that. However I know some resellers who dropped TPS from their lineup simply because they were "forever backordered" like you have found out.

Consider EGW, I have been very happy with their products and while they don't have the "tacticool" name of TPS, they are rock solid. Available for Rem700 in short and long action there are three cants available 0, 15, and 20 MOA.

Pick up a set of matching rings too.

http://www.egwguns.com/

Jimro

I actually tried to order some from SWFA, they are actually out of stock ;).

I'm liking what I see with the EGW, Talley, and the nice Ken F stuff, but I was wondering if it was a bad idea to put steel rings on an aluminum base. They have already shipped my TPS steel rings (which were in stock) which I got just because I have bad experiences with aluminum and threads, but have heard mixed reports on aluminum base with steel rings. If I followed correctly, one "issue" was something about steel rings not getting as good of a "bite" on aluminum rails, I guess assuming that steel rings are usually thinner than their aluminum counterparts. These guys make some steel bases too, but they are a lot more expensive, so I'm wondering what the advantage is really.

For great quality, I'd recommend Seekins Precision.

If you just want something that works well and don't care about much else go with Warnes.

If you have an inch pound torque wrench you should be fine with steel rings on an aluminum base.

If it worries you get a steel base.

Jimro

Talley bases are second to none IMO and are made in South Carolina by workers with pride.

Is your 700 long or short action? I have a Talley 700 LA picatinny base that I took off my rifle because I ended up going with Talley one piece rings. If you don't need the 20 MOA incline and need 700 LA I would let it go for $25.00.

I've replaced all my mounts with Talley Mount/Ring. Excellent and inexpensive

On a hunting rifle these are the best I've found. I'm using these on all of my hunting rifles except 1. It has DNZ which are good too. I think the DNZ might be a little tougher, but the Talley's are a little lighter and I think they look better.

I put on the Leupold standard rings with the two piece bases on my 700. Remington markets a "one-piece" ring and base which looks pretty nice.

I can say what NOT to buy...

Redfield rings and bases (are NOT the scope company)

Millett rings and bases

Personally had issues with both of these. I've had fantastic luck with Leupold products.

Thanks guys, at least I have some good info to run with now.

Palmetto-Pride, this is a .308 short action, otherwise that deal would be very tempting.

Back