Choosing a Training School

Joash

Inactive
I'm sure this question has been asked over and over again, but I wanted the most up to date information, so here goes: I want to learn to shoot well. I've dabbled in various shooting activities over the years including some military service more than a decade ago. I haven't fired a gun since 1998.

I want to learn to do tactical, defensive shooting, shooting in low light, shooting in shoot houses etc. I'd take a pistol course to start. If I ever have time in the future I'd add rifle & shotgun courses.

I live in the LA area and money is a factor for me. Front Sight seems the cheapest (with a certificate) but also the goofiest. Gunsite seems good, but not cheap or that close to home. I also see that Blackwater offers courses in San Diego.

I'm also wondering how long of a course to take. Front Sight's better course is 4 days. Gunsite's Defensive Pistol 250 takes 5 days. Gabe Suarez claims he can teach in 2 days what others teach in 5. I don't have that much free time, but I'm willing to invest time for the best quality training.

Can anyone give me some solid advice, particularly people who have taken these courses? Thanks!

Last edited:
Seek out LMS Defense in Reno or LV. No issues with Gunsite other than dated materials. Never trained with Suarez, seems to be knowledgeable but there's some history that puts some people off. Blackwater stuff is top notch as well, but pricey.

Front Sight.. well, Google Front Sight and Scam or Lawsuit... You get what you pay for.

Suarez bad history

Why are the Gunsite materials dated? What is the bad history on Suarez?

I did read about some of the scandals involving Front Sight. The place does have the whole infomercial vibe to it.

Folks - we don't want to do the history of Front Sight or Gabe. The OP can use search on the major forums or google them. That will shut this down.

If you could get to WA state - look at FAS with Marty Hayes or Insights Training.

Thunder Ranch is north of you, bit expensive though. After having seen Clint Smith's videos, I'd love to train there, wish they allowed lead on the range though.

I would also search up on Blackwater before signing up. They have their Moyock facility near me, but I decided to go further away because it didn't seem to be what I wanted.

There may also be some traveling trainers to look into, I think Louis Awerbuck is in CA right now.

For what it's worth, I've not heard of anyone not liking the training received at Front Sight. If they were close to me I'd give one of their certificates a try.

Gabe Suarez claims he can teach in 2 days what others teach in 5.
I can personally recommend his training. At least check out some of his DVD's first and see if it is what you are looking for. Close-Range Gunfighting is a good starting place.

I believe Blackwater has a facility in San Diego. I went to schools at their facility in NC and it was the best training I have ever had.

Is it necessary to train with Suarez Personally?

or are any of his instructors just as good? I'd likely take the course near my home in Los Angeles.

Most good instructors will suggest you take courses from as many schools as you can. Everyone does a few things differently, and you might well like one instructor's approach better than another. The only way to know is to try.

fwiw,

lpl

FAS is a terrific school PAX is there, I haven't met her but my instructor says she and Don who work for Marty are terrific.

Gunsite is well worth the time and money to go attend a 250 Course. The "dated" material is that Gunsite still teaches the Modern Technique as formulated by Jeff Cooper, one of the fundamental tenets of which is the use of the Weaver stance.

The thing is though that Gunsite has excellent instructors, from Ed Head at the top all the way down to the newest guy teaching. You don't become an instructor at Gunsite by going through life with a closed mind, and that's important. I took a carbine course there, and being a 3-gun competitor I hold my rifle and stand differently than they teach at Gunsite. The instructors said "hey, this what we teach at Gunsite, but if you're getting fast, accurate hits with what you're doing, knock yourself out."

Gunsite isn't really teaching dogma, they're teaching a wholistic approach to shooting, hence the Accuracy, Power, and Speed triangle they'll talk about. Sure, it sounds like I've consumed the Gunsite kool-aid, and maybe I have to a certain extent. That being said, you can do a lot worse than to learn about shooting from the guys down in Arizona.

Back