choosing a rifle scope

Jebby

Inactive
Hello everybody! I recently purchased a browning x bolt, 7mm-08. Beautiful gun, although I haven't got to shoot it yet because I have beaten my brain to death trying to find the best scope I can get within my budget.so here goes.

My budget will be in the $500 dollar range at max. Would love to get one cheaper but I'm willing to pay for quality. Is there anyone out there with a favorite scope brand for hunting? I was looking at a zeiss terra, luepold vx 3, or vortex viper. I also thought on the nikon monarch 3 but the deeper I dug the more bad things I found about them. Any advise, brand preference, or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thank in advance to everybody!!

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those 3. I've always had Leupolds but the next one I buy may well be a Vortex.

I have Nikons and Leupolds on most of my rifles. My last purchase was a Vortex.

What a nice surprise! The Vortex is amazing and seems as clear as my Night Force. I put it on an Annie MPR 64. I shot the best 5 shot group of my life with that rifle at 50 yards. I am impressed.

I would go with a Leupold. On a vintage rifle I lean towards the Weaver K4 steel scopes that you can usually find at a gun show for about $50.00. $500.00 should buy an awfully great scope. That's a lot more than I would spend.

Top scope on the list. It has Cabelas badges on it, but it made by Meopta. This is the exact scope Meopta made and sold under the Zeiss Conquest name. It sold for $550 10-12 years ago. Getting it on sale right now for $279 is a huge deal.

I have one of the older Conquests and found this scope last summer in a local Cabelas Bargain cave. They are the same scope. You won't do any better.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo..._SEQ_104535180?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

Thank everyone for your input. I'm leaning toward the vortex. I think it's one of the best looking and the clarity is unreal. My only quark with those is that I do not like any of the reticle offerings.

Most of my other scopes are Swarovski. I have an old luepold that was my grandfather's but have it on my "shelf rifle memorial" for my grandpaw.

The lower end leupold scopes seem to be lacking something on the outside, the looks. Just my preference but I know they are good scopes. That's all my dad has ever used. I just can't get over the "plain" looks of them.

Thanks for the link! That looks almost identical to the conquest! The reviews weren't to bad either.

This scope may also be used through the summer for my 300 wsm project. Would some of the lower end scopes in my price point (any inparticlar) hold up to the recoil well or are some known to a bit less rugged? It's going to beat to death I'm sure. One of my favorite stands in a half mile into a laurel thicket.

P.s please excuse my typos, punctuation, and misspelling. This pond keyboard is smarter than me.

I usually think about scopes based on how I want them to work for shots towards the longer end of the range I'll use the rifle for. Do I want to dial drop, hold drop, use a BDC reticle, or use custom ballistic turrets?

Based on the answer to those questions, then it's possible to figure out what kind of scope makes sense.

Of late I've found that Burris, Vortex, Leupold and SWFA have gotten my business. None have disapointed.

I've switched from nikons and vortex's to the new Redfeild "Revolution" scopes. I believe they are on par with scopes costing 2x as more, and American made with an unbeatable warranty. Also, going with the Redfeild will save you a lot more money for very little to zero quality compromise. I recommend the Redfeild brand to anybody that asks me, because they are hard to beat for a quality optic.

I always have liked the very generous and forgiving eye relief a Leulpold scope gives you, plus they are one of the few to still offer a gloss finish.

They aren't mentioned among OP's choices, but I have never had an IOR scope that I didn't like tremendously. Perhaps see if one of their offerings will fit your needs.

Among others, I have a couple of Leupold VX3's, one VX2 (now at Leupold for repair), and a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP. I am firmly convinced that the VX3's have better glass than the Vortex or the VX2. But, the Vortex glass is plenty good enough. As for the VX2 (6-18x40 with LRDV reticle), I wasn't overly impressed. I guess I'll just park it on a shelf, with the old Weaver K4.

Suggest you consider a 3-15x42mm Weaver Super Slam. Check Natchez Shooters Supply for it, they have a decent price for it that fits your budget.

Optics are very nice, pull-up turrets for windage/elevation track well and have a good feel. Own several super slams myself. Darn nice scope for the money.

By the way, these Weavers are made in Japan by same company that makes, Sightron Big Sky scopes, highest end Bushnell elites and another company or two that is well regarded.

About only negative thing about them is "internals are built like a tank", so if you want a scope for a light carry rifle, you'll probably not want a Super Slam. They can be described as beefy. Quote about tank I took from a guy who does factory warranty work on scopes in Australia. Part of his positive reply to someone asking him about buying a Weaver SS.

I would recommend the Big Sky Sightron scopes great glass and warranty. I own three of them as well as the monarch and the leupold, and Sightron is my favorite.

Choose the scope you see the best with.

When we go to the eye doctor he puts different lenses in front of each of our eyes and he asks US what we see better with! Don't ask others what scope to get.

Look thru scopes where ever you can. There are lots of guns with scopes on them at gun shops.

Vortex is equally well known for their warranty and customer service.

I don't think any other manufacturer (correct me, if I'm wrong) has a lifetime warranty that transfers with ownership. No receipt needed for service- just send it in. And, you get it back ASAP.

If you check, you'll see that used Vortex optics hold their value extremely well because of this.

I don't think any other manufacturer (correct me, if I'm wrong) has a lifetime warranty that transfers with ownership. No receipt needed for service- just send it in.

Leupold does that.

$500 will buy you a lot of great optics for your rifle, so you should find one that pushes your buttons and buy it.
All your other scopes are Swaros??? Why the small budget for this one? Pretty hard to look through $1500 euro glass and then be happy with $500 asian stuff.
The marketplace has changed, consumers want bulletproof warranties now. Who has ever needed one? They come with a price tag. Vortex doesn't make scopes, they contract their glass out, Chicoms or Taiwan or Phillipines (I'm guessing) on the cheap end to Japanese on the high end. Nikon's lousy customer service nearly cost them their riflescope business ten years ago. They learned their lesson and are easy to deal with now. Their glass has always been bright though. Vortex had a large part in consumers starting to demand brainless warranties. Smart marketing and look where it's gotten them, lots of brand loyalty now. Nearly every maker now follows the same pattern, $200 gets you a serviceable Phillipine made product, $500 buys you all you could ever need in Japanese glass, and $1000+ buys you bragging rights on glass built by former Euro commies who saw the errors of their ways and embraced the western markets.
I carry my guns and shoot from field positions not concrete benches so I like a rifle that weighs between 6-8 lbs depending on how much it kicks. Army and Marine snipers have been killing bad guys at 1200 yards with 10x scopes for fifty years, so do we need 16x to kill deer at 400??? Nikon, Burris, Vortex, Zeiss, Meopta, yada, yada, yada, are consistently heavier relative to power than Leupolds. Do some comparisons if you want to save weight on your rifle. If Hubble scopes appeal to you, there are lots of them on the marketplace. Quality lightweight scopes, one needs to do some shopping. Leupys may not be the brightest, nor the quickest to come out with new gismos and features, but they are consistently lighter than nearly all other comparable scopes. If I'm going to run a 3-9x36 scope, it's going to be an 11 oz Leupy not a 17 oz, Vortex. I own four 2.5-8x36, three 1.75-6x32 and half a dozen 1.5-5x20 Leupolds. I have a 2.5-8x36 on a .243 walking varminter. The scope is equipped with the Leupold custom yardage zero stop dial that gives me one turn of the turret from 200-750 yards. I don't always hit soda cans at 700 yards with this setup but that 8x scope sure as heck lets me see the can just fine.
I like dead nuts reliable lightweight scopes with good glass for a reasonable price. I own Burris, Kahles, Zeiss, Nikon and a raft of other scopes, and I'm happy with most of them, but if I had to pick one brand over all others for a "hunting" rifle, it would be Leupolds.
I compare Leupold to Honda motorcycle. Honda chooses not to play marketing leap frog with Kawi, Yamaha, et. al. every model year. Instead they find something that works and they stick with it for a while. Some folks hate that about Honda, I love it. It's what I like about Leupold. Probably my next scope will be another VX3 2.5-8x36.

Last edited:
Back