Chokes on Benelli?

Monkeyleg

Today I finally took delivery of my M1. It came with three different choke tubes, which I'll try out with some buckshot to find the best pattern. My question, though, is about slugs. A friend of mine shoots rifled slugs through his smoothbore barrels, and I'm wondering which choke if any I should use when doing this, or if it's even possible. Been quite awhile since I shot slugs, and my brain is even older ;) .

Thanks for any advice,

Dick

Good choice in shotgun. I too own the M1 Super 90. To be safe, I use the improved cylinder for the rifled slugs. I think the Benelli web site has some info on this.

Found it. This is straight from the Benelli web site:

Q: What choke should I use for slugs?
A: A cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth bore barrel. Sabot slugs should be shot through our fully rifled slug barrels.

if you dont like the way the buckshot pattern is with the cyl choke try the mod tube.it will shoot slugs and buck well most of the time.a standard foster slug is .690 in dia so never use anything tighter than that.

Thanks for the tip, Gunmart. Like I said, it's been a few years since I used a shotgun.

Another dumb Benelli question: after taking the gun to the range today, I went to dismantle it for cleaning, and I could not get the cocking lever out of the bolt. I tried a zillion different methods (hammer cocked, uncocked, bolt full forward, half forward, etc) but it just won't come out. It went in easily enough when I assembled the gun. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Dick

Since your gun is new, it will take some time before the bolt handle comes out easily.

Get a towel and a pair of pliers. Wrap towel around bolt handle and pull out using pliers.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

I would advise against the towel/plier method. You could risk bending the bolt handle. Have someone hold the weapon steady for you, while you the bolt handle straight out. It will take some effort thee first few times. After that, it will come our easily.

i wouldent let benelli touch my gu,they are morans.they are just clerks that have no knowlege of the benelli.if you dont belive that just ask them what the thread pitch on the tubes are or what size is the frront bead sight.even better ask them what size dovetail
there entry guns come with for the rear sight.they dont know.you must call italy to get strait answers on the benneli

Back