Choices

Saltydog235

I've been looking at new shotguns for a while now. I had a long list to start but have narrowed it down some. I eliminated the Benelli SBE because I have one that was my late FIL's and owned a synthetic before trading it, great guns, just want something different.

Eliminated:

Remington Versamax - Terrible cheap feeling gun with a $1000+ price tag
Remington 1187 - Feels like a heavy brick
Beretta Extrema - Feels like a quality made expensive heavy brick
Winchester SX3 - Yes is a Maxus Action but the stock is a concrete block

Still Considering:

Browning Cynergy Synthetic - Totally different animal but all my other shotguns are O/U or SXS, just hate hitting the muck and saltwater environs with them. A tupperware stocked version might just fit the bill, definitely use to the motion and safety over most Auto's.
Browning A-5 - Shoulders and points well
Browning Maxus - Felt really good, much better stock than the SX3
Franchi Intensity - Like the lines, weight numbers and looks but have yet to shoulder it, definitely less money than the rest.

Whatever I choose will be used heavily, crawled through the brambles and mud, dunked in the water on occasion and run around on a 4 wheeler. Tough and reliable is the name of the game. I'm choosing 3.5" guns because I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus those 3.5" #4 buck I do shoot at hogs are just awesome.:D Don't want a pump nor a Mossberg or similar.

Thoughts and opinions?????

Just a side note: The new Browning A5 is not the older, long-recoil A5's from either Belgium or Japan - it's an Inertia Drive, like a Benelli.

Yes, I know that. I have a plethora of A-5's my late father left me, never was a great fan of those things. The old Rem 11 I shot for years cured me of my dad's affinity for them I think.

I've always been a double gun type but I'm not certain that really fits this case. I'd like to think it would.

Made the choice Saturday. Went out and talked to the pros at the local Clays and preserve, spoke to my FIL who owns the same in another state and a ton on waterfowlers and others who shoot a shotgun year round. I shot it and really started to like it even compared to the SBE I shot side by side, the A5 and Maxus.

IT happens to be a Beretta A400 Extreme. Got the black synthetic which will be sent to a buddy for a Mossy Oak Original Bottomland dip job. Dang, that gun cycles fast and shoots soft.

The more I handle it, the more I like it. Breaks down very easily too. Swings and points very naturally. I'm going to shoot a round of clays and put it to use on a pig slaughter this week, hopefully I'll continue to like it more.

Back