Choice of grips

Hotboy

When I buy my first handgun, it will probably have the factory rubber grip, which I assume is very effective but not all that attractive. (although, if I get the Ruger GP-100, it looks like the grips have some kind of wood-like insert).

If I buy a more attractive grip, what am I giving up in terms of functionality? I've seen some pretty nice wood grips, but do they affect your hand fatigue after 100 rounds at the range? Do they slip more under sweaty conditions? Just curious...

Thanks!

All my handguns wear aftermarket wooden grips of figured walnut or cocobolo. One Ruger MK II with Pau Ferro. Only exception is wife's S&W Mod 19 which has rubber grips but thats the way she likes it. Have had no problem with fatigue even after a long session. I just like the way wood grips look and feel in my hand. Get whatever kind of grips that you like best.

Raider

If you go with the Ruger, get Lett grip's they really have some beautiful wood grip's and it will be a perfect fit since they are they are the factory supplier.

Handgun Grip Choice

WHAT I HAVE DONE...
The original wood grips that come with my S&W's and Rugers are put up in a box. When I get ready to part with the individual handgun I will give the the original wood grips.

I SHOOT BETTER WITH Pachmyer or Hogue grips on
them.

I notice that Hogue offers wood and rubber grips. Madison, do you shoot better with rubber or wood Hogue grips?

Revolver grips

Hotboy

I know I wasn't the one addressed, but IMO, wooden grips
always felt better to me. Maybe it's because they're smoother,
or something, or it seems that they fill my hand better, I don't
know for sure, but with my 586 there's a big difference in the
way I shot between wooden grips (Hogue, BTW) vs. the
black rubber Pachmayr's that I used to have on it.

Maybe it's just me...

ANM

Very personal situation. The grips that fit your hand on a particular gun are the ones for you. Tough to try em all before you buy but give it a whirl.

Sam

Herrett's.

I really prefer wood grips for revolvers or pistols. Herrett's have to be my favorites. Eagle grips look pretty good too.

I shoot just as poorly with wood or rubber so I go with the beauty of wood. Ordered a pair of bonded ivory grips with S&W medallions for my M66-2 today from www.boonetrading.com $28 plus $10 for the medallions and a whole new look. Just want to prove I can hit nothing with anything.:D
Ronin

I used to like Hogue rubber grips, but I've come to dislike them. Just about all my *&* revolvers wear hardwood grips. I like the look and feel, and I haven't noticed any drawbacks in shooting or handling. They're actually better than rubber grips for CCW because smooth wood doesn't bind on clothing the way rubber grips do.

Stylishly pathetic shot

hotboy, most aftermarket grips are an improvement in both fuction and style. and as Ronin said I shoot just as bad with wood or rubber so I got the wood thinking I may as well look good holding or carrying the gun to distract everyones attention away from my shotgun pattern groups. (snicker)

I liked the Hogue rubber for my duty gun because it was very comfortable and never felt slick even in sweaty or rainy hands. but they do tend to bind on clothing when concealed.

Back