Choate Ultimate Sniper & Varmint Stocks? Opinions Please!

bald1

Okay folks, I reported on my Savage 10FP in 308 with Leupold 4.5-14x50 MilDot tactical scope several months ago. Broke it in with KG Products moly and have only shot moly coated bullets in both factory and homebrew loadings. 0.35" c-t-c for 3 shots @ 100 yards consistant accuracy. Factory trigger much improved or I got a gem. Adjusted it to lighten the pull.

But the stock is rather uninspiring. Serviceable yes, but given the rifle's performance, something to be upgraded. Among the aftermarket stockmakers unless I go custom, only Choate appears to have stocks to fit. Both are John Plaster designs with major differences being in the forearm configuration. Has anyone had experience with either the Ultimate Sniper or Ultimate Varmint stocks? Would appreciate having the benefit of your input.

Thanks!

-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited August 06, 1999).]

I helped out a friend restock his Remington 721 (.300 H&H Magnum) with the Ultimate Varmint Stock. The stock is pretty heavy as delivered, exceeding 4 pounds. (I believe that the Sniper model is over 5lbs.) In either case, the forend is hogged out to accomodate heavy contour barrels. Be ready for a sporter barrel to appear like a soda straw in either stock. (There is no doubt it will be free-floated!)

Your choice in stocks will depend on which features you find more appealing. Besides the difference in forend contours/angles already mentioned, the Varmint model doesn't have the agressive texturizing of the Sniper model in the grip areas. There is difference in the angle of the molding for the weak hand grip in the prone position. This area is vertical on the Varmint while the Sniper has it angled to the rear. The Varmint has a mono-pod in the rear of the stock to allow for vertical adjustments in conjuction with the use of a bipod or sandbags up front. The Sniper has slots in the forend for the attachment of camoflage. The Varmint stock comes in black while the Sniper stock comes in a pale olive drab.

Dan,

Appreciate the comments. I've scoped out the Choate web site and have the feature differences down. Didn't realize that the Sniper model weighed so much too. They don't post dimensions or weight.

Given my 10FP is the rare 20 inch barrel version, its light weight will be lost with those stocks. Still..... Mmmmmmm

-=[Bob]=-

I've just found a recent review on snipercountry.com. Not too favorable to Choate. ....back to square one.

-=[Bob]=-

Since you mentioned the review on the Sniper Country website (http://www.snipercountry.com) you've already read most of the good and bad points on this stock. The biggest problem I had while handling one was the pistol grip. It is HUGE! I'm an average/large sized guy (195 lbs, 6'1") with big hands and I thought the grip was far too big...a first for me when handling a firearm. :(

Two of the best stock makers are H-S Precision and McMillan. Both make a high quality piece of equipmnet. You can't go wrong with either one. You should try and handle both to see which you like. Also visit each of their sites (the link are available from Sniper Country).

Good luck.

Snapsho7,

I live in Rapid City where H-S Precision is located but alas they do not provide any stocks with the aluminum bed inletted for the Savage. In fact I recently confirmed this by talking to Janet Thompson.

Although McMillian doesn't routinely list anything for the Savage either, those made for Remingtons can be machine inletted for the Savage. To place the price point, an inletted, painted (more expensive than moulded in color), adjustable butt (most expensive butt setup) and cheekpiece, 3 sling stud tactical A2/A3 runs $533. The A4 doesn't accommodate the adjustable butt so it'd be somewhat cheaper fully optioned out.
This is more than the rifle retailed for but heck, my scope is appreciably more expensive too. I dumped my 700VS as this shot rings around it so if ones stays with a proven performer, I guess the added expense makes sense.

-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited August 10, 1999).]

Received some interesting specs back from Choate. The Sniper stock weighs 6 lbs 14 oz !!!! whereas the Varmint stock is 4 lbs. The sniper forearm is an inch longer than that on the Varmint at 14.5 " as well. For comparison, normal McMillian stocks weigh around 2 lbs with the Tactical (A series) running at 4 lbs.

The biggest drawback of the Varmint stock seems to be the overly large grip. It is said that it can be pared down but I'm not sure by how much given the hollowed out nature of the grip. I'm anxiously awaiting an info packet from McMillian.

-=[Bob]=-

Back