Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock

madmax700

Inactive
Hello,
Any thoughts on the Choate Ultimate Sniper? I am looking at this stock right now because of the price, but would Ideally like a vertical thumb grip stock. Does anyone use the Choate and care to talk me into it? :D

It is a good stock for the price. It is an odd stock to shoot. By that, I mean you really have to get used to shooting it.

I have the choate tactical stock and i love it. I have not used the ultimate sniper stock, but in think choate, as a company offers great value for money.

Choate

A few years back, a pal introduced me to F-T/R, and with his help, (considerable) assembled a heavy barrel .308 on a Savage action, and the stock is indeed the Choate Ultimate.

Plus:
-cost, for about $150 bucks at the time, it was half the price of stocks offering comparable features
-aluminum/metal bedding block....massive
-free float barrel, all the way out. There is a huge barrel channel, and a sporter barrel will look......lost
-adjustable (well, in large degrees anyhow,) length of pull, comb height
-weight....this goes both ways, the weight soaks up recoil,

Minus
-weight you will not readily hump this number cross country on a roving unknown distance match. Seems like the stock ALONE weighs 6.5 lbs!!! My rifle is nicknamed the great green monster, and comes in just under match spec at 17 lbs or so (can't remember)
-the forearm rail took some wrangling (as in a special adapter) to readily accept a Harris Bipod. And because of the weight, a simple Harris was not all that stable. A Sinclair was better, at about 3x the cost.
-size..this is a big, bulky stock. It is best used prone off a bipod, or off a bench or similar surface with sand bags. If one foresees a variety of improvised field postions for your shooting, this is likely not the stock for you
-I had to play around with rings, and the two included cheek pieces, and some improvisation to get a repeatable cheek weld. Ultimately I ended up with an extra set of rings. The low rings work best with my current optic, but if I get a bigger bell, I will have to start over with tweaking to get set up again, ie what I needed was a medium dheek piece, which they do not sell. Duct tape and insulite to the rescue, but it looks improvised, and is.

The Ultimate works for me, but I have a very narrow application for it.

Back